Author Topic: Read any good Deer Hunting books lately?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline biglmbass

• Trade Count: (0)
Read any good Deer Hunting books lately?
« on: December 20, 2002, 05:03:31 AM »
Ok, ok, I'm technically in the wrong forum.  However, looks like the book review forum was not too active.  I'm itching to get a good deer hunting read or two at the bookstore.  One of my favorites deer books has recently been revised.  It's called Trophy Deer Hunting by John Wooters.  I first read this one way back when I was a freshman in H.S.  Very good book -- I highly recommend it.  Recently I noticed a new one called Treestand Hunging Strategies by Gary Clancy.  Has anyone read this one?  Like it or no?  Also, I notice Greg Miller has several deer hunting books on the shevles.  I've never read any of his stuff, can anyone recommend any of his books.  Thanks in advance.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 05:31:16 AM »
You don't say exactly from your post whether you are looking for fiction, non-fiction, or both, but from your titles it seems you are leaning more toward non-fiction. Here are some books @ whitetails that I own and enjoy.

Whitetails by Erwin A Bauer. 1993. Voyaguer Press, Inc., P.O. Box 338, 123 North Second Street, Stillwater, MN 55082.
This volume has some of the best factual info on the history and distribution of whitetails and their subspecies, as well as good stuff on behavior, antler growth, other animals in whitetail range, other deer, and conservation issues @ whitetails. Also has some impressive photos.

Tracking and the Art of Seeing by Paul Rezendes. 1992. Camden House Publishing, Ferry Road, Charlotte, VT 05445.
I have used this book in the field to identify sign and tracks. Has detailed and useful info including scat, tracks, and other signs for most of the larger N. American mammals. Excellent drawings and photos.

The Wild Mammals of Missouri by Charles and Elizabeth Schwartz. 1981. University of Missouri Press, Columbia, Missouri 652111. Second Printing in 1986.
Although centered on Missouri mammals, this book (my college wildlife conservation course textbook) has the most detailed and vividly illustrated (all black and white drawings of high quality) information on whitetails (and other mammals) I have ever found. If you want to precisely age your whitetail kills, this book has the outstanding drawings and precise information to do so to the most accurate detail.

Happy reading! :grin:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Bill Pemberton

Deer hunting
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 07:35:40 AM »
Try Gordon McQuarrie's books "Stories of the Old Duck Hunters and Other Drivel."   Great stories of deer hunting, duck hunting and trout fishing.                           Enjoy,  Bill

Offline Slug-Gunner

Finding Wounded Deer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 06:53:10 PM »
I've always been successful at finding deer that others "lost the trail" on when tracking wounded deer - you have to learn quickly when you are a bow hunter.  I've found the following book covers almost all of the "tips and tricks" I was taught by an "Old Timer, Doc", who got me started in competition archery and bow hunting. It even covers a few things I didn't know too.

Finding Wounded Deer
by John Trout, Jr.
ISBN: 0-9707493-0-9

Chapters include:

Wounded Deer Realities
Deer Hair Identification
Blood Trails
Cardiorespiratory Wounds
Arterial Wounds
Last-Ditch Recovery Tactics
Analyzing the Shot
Deer Anatomy
Tracking Factors
Abdominal Wounds
Muscular-Skeletal Wounds
Real-Life Tracking Events
and a handy Quick Reference Guide

NOTE:
One other thing that few people realize is that you can use common Hydrogen Peroxide (sold in most drug stores for about a $1 a pint) as a "blood finder" agent when blood can be hard to see in fall foliage. Simply place it in a common Windex or other used spray bottle and set it to spray a fine mist.... when it comes in contact with blood, it will foam up. You can enhance its "visability" by adding a yellow or bright colored food coloring to it. It works just as well as the $10 a bottle products sold in most hunting supply stores.

:twisted:  :roll:  :-D  :lol:  :wink:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 07:59:33 AM »
One of the best deer hunting books I have read, was Hunting Big Bucks the Benoit Way, by Bryce Towsley.  I have and do own a lot of deer hunting books, and this was one of the best I ever read.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline DLuke

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2003, 11:56:23 AM »
Mad Dog...if you really liked the book, then you will absolutely love the two videos.  Everything you read in the book about on your feet techniques, without the cookie cutter bull you find in most hunting videos.  I love both vids...do yourself a favor and buy Tracking Big Bucks With the Benoits I and II.  You can't go wrong!  Website (might come through as a link) below.....

www.gnproductions.com

Offline foto

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 08:30:54 AM »
I second that recomendation for Shots at Whitetails by Larry Koller.
Some of its dated, but all of his experiences still hold true. No nonsense kind of guy, at no point will you doubt the truth of what he says. Unlike a lot of more recent trash where the authors seem to make up half their stories to make some kind of point or worse, to soft sell some sort of gadget, scent,  etc.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 02:02:55 PM »
DLuke and Mad Dog,
I'm a friend of the blais family. Tom also has brothers that are also hunters and fishermen. His brother Dave and I hang around with the same circle of friends and fish, hunt and tip a few together. Some time I'll take a pic. of Toms trophy room ( if he lets me) and post it. Some very nice racks and a lot of big sheds... :D
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...