Author Topic: A milestone for me  (Read 527 times)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
A milestone for me
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
I've heard some of you ol' pro's talking about running 3 moulds before and as a long-time ladle caster wasn't something I gave much thought to until this past Friday afternoon.  Was casting for some more .357's and was having to wait for the puddle to solidify and remembered a new 457 340 gr mould so I warmed it up and started with the two of them and while I was getting out the 340, I stumbled across a single hole 457 405 that was new to me.  Since the two were going ok, I threw the third into the rotation, while it was fun for a little while, it was more work than pleasure!  Fortunately it didn't take long to empty my 20# pot of lead!  I like my new bottom pour pot!  Since I've only run a couple hundred pounds through it so far, I've not experienced the "LEE DRIP" yet.  Anyway, I was tickeled to have been able to make it work.

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: A milestone for me
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:01:55 PM »
  Good for you!! I often run 2 molds but rarely try to keep up with 3. like you, I think casting SHOULD be enjoyable and NOT work! When I DO run 3 they are always visually different. (44 SWC ,30 cal 457 405) that way I don't have to spend a lot of time separating them.

Offline Wiking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
I recently tried running 2 2 cavity steel molds and 1 Lee 6-banger at the same time... that was a little too much. No time to rest on the laurels. Always working the molds, adding ingots and fluxing or stirring. Next time around I'll settle with 2 molds at the same time.

Offline Calamity Jake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:40 AM »
The only time I don't run 2 molds is when casting anything 6MM and smaller or the Lee 6 banger.

Doing the CAS thing takes a lot of boolits, I always run 2 Saeco 4 cav 45"s to keep up.
Calamity Jake