Author Topic: new reloader with questions  (Read 589 times)

Offline dawnofzion

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (0)
new reloader with questions
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:28:37 AM »
Let me start out by saying I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before.  I have searched and read a ton but I can't seem to find an answer. 
My wife bought me the LEE anniversary kit for christmas and I have not been able to use it yet.  I am now looking to finally get started with it.  I have never reloaded before and I have been doing a lot of readying about it.  I am looking to start reloading for my 25-06.  All that I have is the LEE anniversary kit and no other items yet.  I have looked at dies and I am not sure what set of dies I need to get started.  Also, what other items are a necessity to get started that are not in the kit? 

Out of these LEE dies which ones do I need for 25-06?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0012803&navCount=3&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=search_redir&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&rid=

basically,  I am asking what else is needed to get started reloading 25-06 that is not in the LEE anniversary kit. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: new reloader with questions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
I am not sure what is in the Lee kit, but to start, you need:

A pad and case lubricant to roll your cases on.

A brush to apply a thin coating of dry lube on the inside of the case neck to help lube the neck expanding ball when you resize your cases.  Some guys use a spray lube instead.

A wood or plastic loading block to stand your cases in.

A reloading press.

The proper shell holder for the press

A 2 die set.  One die will kick out the old primer, and re-size the case.  The other die will seat the bullet, and apply a crimp, if desired.

A method of priming.  Some people use the priming tool built into most reloading presses.  I like the Lee hand primer (about $20)  Better feel when seating primers.

A powder scale.

A method of putting the powder in the cases.  Some weigh each charge, and place it in the case.  To slow for me.  I like a powder dropper where you adjust it to drop you desired charge with each turn of the handle.  You set and check it with your scale.

A chamfering tool to use on each case neck before seating a bullet - helps it seat a little smoother.

Of course bullets, cases, powder, and primers.  The most important tool?  A good reloading manual, like the Speer or Lyman guides.  When you re-load, read that chapter carefully, and go back over it as you are reloading.  Picture in your head what you are doing, and why, and it should go smooth.  Just go slow at first, and don't be distracted.  ONLY use loads as listed in the manual.  Good luck - it aint brain surgery...lol

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
As for the dies , the Pacesetters will do what you are wanting , a lot of the items that Larry listed are in the Lee Ann. kit or with the dies , like the proper shell holder .

I 2nd the Lee auto prime hand primer , it will be money well spent once you load your first box of shells , and again as Larry said its not rocket seince so just start slow , one step at a time till you fully understand what each step does and why .

Your kit should have come with the Lee manual but get atleast a second one , the Lyman is a very good one to have .

And I know that your not wanting to hear this but READ , unless you have a mentor close that can help walk you through the steps , thats the only way to grasp the concept .

and lastly , if you have any ??s --- Just ask  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »
Here's a third vote for the Lee, I think they call it the auto primer. It takes a shell holder too, that will be different than the one in your press.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
In my opinion, Imperial Sizing Wax is much less messy to use than is a lube pad.

As for dies, I usually go Redding.  Lee only warrants their dies for 2 year while others have a life time warranty.  I think that the 2 year warranty is an indication of the confidence Lee has in their product.

For the first reloading, it's probably not necessary but at some point, you'll need some way of measuring the length of your resized cases and a way to trim them.  A dial indicator will work for measuring case length.  You can either get a case trimmer or a trim die and file to trim your cases.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
"Lee only warrants their dies for 2 year while others have a life time warranty.  I think that the 2 year warranty is an indication of the confidence Lee has in their product."

It's true that Lee only warrants dies for 2 years BUT I don't think it's due to any lack of confidence in the product.  Dies are very simple devices.  Lee's have a few pieces of solid steel, a little aluminum nut and a rubber O ring.  There's just not much to suddenly go wrong four or ten years down the road is there?  What Lee is really doing is giving us plenty of time to note any manufactoring defects but they are NOT warranteeing the dies against user deglect forever.   Actually, I think I like that. 

The price of other brands of dies, etc, being much higher, is largely to cover longterm owner misuse, not manufactoring defects as such.  That's a nice policy and may be worth the initial cost, but only IF we are mechanical klutzes that can damage anvils with spoons.  But it hurts me to pay for the clumsy damage done by others if I don't abuse my own gear!  I don't abuse mine, and I don't pay the prices for green or blue stuff so others can do so without penalty either.  At least, not any more I don't.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline dawnofzion

• Classified -- Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
I did not know you could mix and match brand of dies and presses.  I thought you had to have the same brand dies and press. 

Thanks for all the info.   It sounds like I only need a few items and a set of the Lee Pacesetter dies in 25-06 to get started. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: A new reloader with questions
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
I did not know you could mix and match brand of dies and presses.  I thought you had to have the same brand dies and press. 

Thanks for all the info.   It sounds like I only need a few items and a set of the Lee Pacesetter dies in 25-06 to get started. 

You can mix and match to your hearts content. All dies sans the DILLON square deal dies are 7/8-14 thread and interchange.

You will likely be just fine with those Pace setter Dies.

It's true that Lee only warrants dies for 2 years BUT I don't think it's due to any lack of confidence in the product.  Dies are very simple devices.  Lee's have a few pieces of solid steel, a little aluminum nut and a rubber O ring.  There's just not much to suddenly go wrong four or ten years down the road is there?  What Lee is really doing is giving us plenty of time to note any manufactoring defects but they are NOT warranteeing the dies against user deglect forever.   Actually, I think I like that. 

The price of other brands of dies, etc, being much higher, is largely to cover longterm owner misuse, not manufactoring defects as such.  That's a nice policy and may be worth the initial cost, but only IF we are mechanical klutzes that can damage anvils with spoons.  But it hurts me to pay for the clumsy damage done by others if I don't abuse my own gear!  I don't abuse mine, and I don't pay the prices for green or blue stuff so others can do so without penalty either.  At least, not any more I don't.

Man, I don't know where you come up wit this stuff.. but I got a chuckle out of it. To quote another author here, "Keep 'em coming"!!  ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline roger460xvr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »
The hornady ONE shot spray lube works very GOOD!!!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
Mix and match is a good way to go - gives you a little color on your bench, a little cheeriness.! LOL! My bench has two shades of green, some dark gray, a little blue, some chrome, a bit of orange and some red. My buddy's is all green - and even shoots Big Green! I tell him he has no imagination and I'm the one who is color unperceptive...

Reloading stuff lasts so long, you will likely get tired of something before you ever wear it out. Used dies are usually every bit as good as new stuff. At shows, in your paper, on this website, it's all out there. TImes are tight and the more "buys" you can find, the more "handloading" you can do, the more shooting you can do, the more fun you can have - even in a tight economy. The more you do and read, the more you will discover that you "have to have" on your reloading bench. Again, "buys" will help you achieve your end and not break the bank. My wife's quote, "you can't buy gun-stuff with grocery money!" and I don't.

It's a fun ride! Stay safe! Ask questions, even when they sound silly or stupid to you, and you will get some silly and stupid responses from us - sometimes. Most of it is good stuff and a lot of guys reinforce what somebody has already posted, so kind of helps you believe it's good info.

Be sure to enlighten us when you discover our info was right, or when you learn something new on your own. Remember, we are all human and we don't know everything, even when it sounds like we think we do.
We have all learned a bunch from our experiences, and for whatever reason, all our experiences do not always mirror each other. Just how it is. It's not rocket science, and not even an absolute science - tiny variables can create huge differences, or no difference at all. Stay alert and stay safe...and keep it fun!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:24 AM »
"Man, I don't know where you come up wit this stuff.."    "Keep 'em coming"!! 

Here it comes!   IF I understand your position about where I get this "stuff", it's from my targets, "chamber" casts of a lot of dies and a loaded round concentricty gauge are my source.   The casts and that gauge have been the greatest destroyer of blind confidence in any "brand" being superior or inferior, across the board, for either dies or presses.  The targets simply confirm the findings.  I know of no other source of such data I would trust, certainly not blind loyalty based on an expensive shiney exterior!

Surely we would all agree that the inside dimensons of our dies are what does the work, not exterior shine or neat knurling.   They all meet SAAMI standards inside, but no more than that.  Nor, in fact, do they need to.  Anyone who wants to argue that statement needs to come with specifics from an averaged assortment of dies from any brand that is supposed to be better or worse than the other.  I don't think anyone is going to do that, they simply won't find any average differences!   ???

Pay what it takes to buy the level of exterior finish you need to feel good about yourself and be happy, I am!  ;)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:58:21 AM »
As a long time reloader and user of Lee products, I understand both the monetary value offered by most Lee products as well as the frustrations of using them.  They are mostly serviceable, disposable, reloading tools and accessories that provide "good enough" use for the average reloader.  They are not, and never have been, promoted as being the best and highest quality items in their tool category.  The most legiitmate complaint about Lee products in general is that while their concept and design may show real innovation, their execution and manufacturing quality usually falls short.  They use many expense-cutting processes like die casting, injection molding, and off-the-shelf fasteners and seals, standard dimension bar, rod, and tubing raw stock and machine screw production methods, often without heat treating parts.  Actual machining is kept to a bare minimum.  An often heard complaint is that their products are flimsy, and wear out or break easily.  It's all true.  Shell holders that deform easily, dies that scratch and gall, press toggle links that wear out, pressed, staked, or brazed assemblies that fall apart with light usage, bullet molds that deform and cast eccentric slugs, the list goes on and on.
John Traveler

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
Oh, please don't get me wrong.  I have dozens of Lee items including the Classic Lee Loaders that many of us started out using.  I keep them on hand for the odd or infrequently loaded caliber that I don't have in standard 7/8 -14 die sets, or as camp and field loading tools.  Yes, I can put up with the unheat treated neck sizing die, the often marginal quality chromium plating, and the hazardous re-priming method.  I've actually worn out several of their hand primers and case length trimmers and pilots, and have several of their bullet molds. 

What I am trying to say here is that like most things in life, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.  Lee products represent serviceable quality at affordable prices, and allows the handloading fraternity to be as large and as popular as it is.  The offer an extensive product line that is designed and manufactured to meet a price objective and be competitive with higher quality products.  There is nothing wrong with that, because it is the very basis for the manufacturing greatness that this country once represented. 
John Traveler