Author Topic: Rossi - Barrel swap  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Nipp45

• Trade Count: (0)
Rossi - Barrel swap
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
Guys I am getting the 20 gage shotgun/ 50 cal. muzzleloader kit.  Is there anyway I can use the receiver to place another rifle barrel into? I was thinking of gettting a .243 or something, would this work with my current gun?  Do they sell the individual barrels?

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Rossi - Barrel swap
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:50:49 AM »
There was a barrel accessory plan in planing for Rossi for a couple years, but it seems they have parted with the idea. A shame really, as they have good potiential. One of the main problems I keep observing is they most likely need a good barrel scrub with Flitz(or the like) to smooth them out. Though I haven't owned one so I can't say, could be a number of problems for the non shooters...anyway...If you could locate a used barrel for sale and wanted to try your luck then the FAQs over in the NEF/H&R centerfire forum would be most helpful as they are close in design. Though I have heard there are different reciever hardness much like NEF/H&Rs. Some more capable to handling the high pressures of centerfire cartridges. Still this is just rumor to me, I would call the company on that one.

-Aaron

Offline cbxboy

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
I spoke with Rossi/Braztech and they have the statement of "NO" do not interchange.....except the barrels that came with the matched set.  My opinion is hte reciever is matched to the barrel when headspace is set.
My humble opinion is that since you have a 50 cal and 20 gauge I would personally pass on dropping a .243 barrel on and firing.

However AGAINST Braztech/Rossi concern I would personally take my 30.06 receiver and shot my .270 barrel on it and vice versa.  My reasoning is that recoil itself is not the issue, pressure is not the issue, head spcae and barrel reciever fitting is the issue.  A tight lock up on 30.06/.270 would be almost exact in headspacing.  Try at your own enjoyment.......or lack thereof.

If you were just looking for a .243 to add to your collection, my opinion buy an extra one...there cheap and work perfectly fine.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
I have seen 2 barrel sets for around $150 at Gander and 3 barrel sets for just over $200.  I saw a 308 there a couple weeks ago for just $129.  A very good price.  Too bad I had not $$$ on me, it would have followed me home.  :'(
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"