Author Topic: lake city brass??????  (Read 342 times)

Offline deerjackie

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
lake city brass??????
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:08:45 PM »
what is lake city brass? crimped primer or what?thanks for the help, never reloaded for a 223 before and have seen used brass listed as lc,lake city. dj
WHATS THAT SMELL?                                                                                                  USS FORRESTAL CV-59  1983-1987 r div ht2

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: lake city brass??????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:13:47 PM »
Yes, Lake City brass most likely has crimped primer pockets.  They are deprimed in the usual way but before putting in new primers, the crimp has to be removed.  In my opinion, the RCBS primer pocket swager is the easiest way to removed the crimp.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »
Military brass is head stamped with place of origin and year of manufacture. In this case it would be LC 98 or what ever year it was manufactured. Military brass does have crimped in primers - a mil spec (military specification). So if they are once fired; they will have crimped primers. I have generally removed the crimp by cutting it away with a 45 degree deburring tool. I have not had a problem with primers backing out doing this. As mentioned, the crimp must be removed before priming again, no matter how you do it. I think that military cases of yesteryear have less case capacity that newer manufacture, so watch out for case capacity when working up loads if it has a older year of manufacture. You will need to measure case capacity to be sure. I recently bough virgin LC 06 cases. They had no crimp as they had not been loaded yet and their case capacity are nearly identical to commercial Winchester brass. When you buy once fired military brass, they can come as is, or re-manufactured. You have to be careful when buying to find out exactly what you are getting. Some come as is and they will not only need to have the primer removed and the crimp removed, they will need to be sorted; some will have dents in too big to use. They will also need to be cleaned and full length sized before reloading. Re-manufactured cases come in different forms. Most have the primers removed and the crimp removed. Some have been cleaned and still some have been full length sized - it depends on where you buy them and how much you are willing to pay for them. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
Military brass is head stamped with place of origin and year of manufacture. In this case it would be LC 98 or what ever year it was manufactured. Military brass does have crimped in primers - a mil spec (military specification). So if they are once fired; they will have crimped primers. I have generally removed the crimp by cutting it away with a 45 degree deburring tool. I have not had a problem with primers backing out doing this. As mentioned, the crimp must be removed before priming again, no matter how you do it. I think that military cases of yesteryear have less case capacity that newer manufacture, so watch out for case capacity when working up loads if it has a older year of manufacture. You will need to measure case capacity to be sure. I recently bough virgin LC 06 cases. They had no crimp as they had not been loaded yet and their case capacity are nearly identical to commercial Winchester brass. When you buy once fired military brass, they can come as is, or re-manufactured. You have to be careful when buying to find out exactly what you are getting. Some come as is and they will not only need to have the primer removed and the crimp removed, they will need to be sorted; some will have dents in too big to use. They will also need to be cleaned and full length sized before reloading. Re-manufactured cases come in different forms. Most have the primers removed and the crimp removed. Some have been cleaned and still some have been full length sized - it depends on where you buy them and how much you are willing to pay for them. Good Luck and Good Shooting

GREAT INFO, I agree!!!

Just to recap:

1) Its GOOD quality brass.

2) Its primers are crimped and need to be corrected. I prefer RCBS pocket swager as Grumulkin mentioned. It doesn't remove and brass.

3) Its case capacity will be less as it is thicker thru the web. You will need to lower powder charges and work back up.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.