Author Topic: Custom reloading  (Read 950 times)

Offline cridertj

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
Custom reloading
« on: March 15, 2009, 04:47:26 AM »
I do not reload yet but hope to soon, but was wondering if there is any place that could reload my brass for me or would it be more coast effecting to just buy factory loads

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Re: Custom reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 04:51:45 AM »
Contact Reed's Custom Ammo. They are a sponsor here at Graybeard.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:06:14 AM »
Unless you can buy in bulk, And I am talking like 1000 rounds at a time, You are prolly better served buying comercial.  As to reloading its more than just cost to me I truly enjoy the process of making my own so its more than just the dollars spent But I can certainlly shoot more than if I didn't reload. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »
i tryed them and they told me they are not doing reloads now just new production.

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:36:20 AM »
Morn'in cridertj,

I agree with Badnews Bob, the loading experience is more then just saving money.

There is a satisfaction factor when that critter comes home to the freezer due in part to my efforts at the reloading bench.

AS per commercial/custom - reloading/reloaders, I have wondered how a person "works up loads"  for your personal firearms in this situation.

I have a hard time seeing a custom reloader going to the effort of that process without the customer baring a great deal of expence.

I try to encourage friends to begin the reloading process with me, but have come to the point where I really try to make it clear that this could be far more costly then checking out some store bought ammo with the hopes of finding a load which will shoot with passable results.

There is always the chance of quickly finding a good reload, meaning it groups well and gives reasonable vel., but I have also seen the time when I went through a number of different bullets and powders before finding what my rifle liked.

I would guess that a custom reloader has a "little black book" of loads which have over time proved worthy, and that is what he is going to load.  Which in turn puts you in ABOUT the same situation as buying factory ammo.

There could be cases where a custom reloader provides you a series of loads - different powder (amounts and types)  and bullet combinations for your own testing - at a cost of course.

But personally I have a problem letting someone else test my loads as many/most folk have limited bench time, which in turn results in questionable test results.

Then as a custom reloader, I am faced with test results which are maybe loads which the firearm doesn't like, or maybe and more likely just plain poor shooting by the person doing the shooting.

Unless you are working with the shooter, or know their shooting ability, or even better yet doing the test shooting with the customers rifle, how would you as a custom reloader ever know.

My vote is, do your own loading, and get in with an experienced loader in your home area or here on GB and begin to develop true custom reloads for YOUR firearm

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
I agree 100% i need to be doing my own reloading i use to do mi own for a 44 mag pistol i had but have gotten away from it a long time and now i have a 204 i would like to make up loads for but don’t want to spend the money now on the reloaded and components to get set up. I just thought since i was paying for factory loads now that if there was some one out there that could give me something close and save a few dollars i would go that way till i could get set up.

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »
if i were to get the LEE BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER PRESS KIT what extras would i need to get to start to reload rifle rounds and i know there are some nicer presses out there but i use to have a lee press and it did every i needed then but i never did reload rifles so tell me if it will not do it or if i cant get dies in a 204 please i will start looking for kits and things to . thanks

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
I don't know where you live c rider, but you might take a look at what is available right now. It's a hard fact of life , but at the present time you may be lucky to find a few boxes of commercial ammo to buy. I ordered a scope and a set of Lee dies a few weeks ago and Cabela's says I won't get them until April. I know how it is to have a new gun and can't shoot it, but I believe that is what you are up against for the time being.

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
i ordered the same kit, i plan on loading for .204, and 45/70.
do you have any manuals?
you will also need shell holders, dies, deburing tool, tumbler, case trimmer, lube pad.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:44:27 PM »
That press will work great foe .204 and .44s I;d say books are the most important first, 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »
 There is always Lee's classic loader kits $33.00 and everything but powder and primers,slow but you can't get cheaper than that.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »
what about case trimmer is this a must have? does lee have a case trimmer?

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »
Not right away but you'll prolly want one later. Yes Lee make case trimers and they are silly simple to use but will only trim to sammi spec size they are not adjustable. Very inexpensive thou.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
thanks , i have been looking foe dies for the 204 do you know were i could get or order them?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:51:25 PM »
Look into Hornady dies. Good Quality and not expensive either. If you want the cheapest you can get, get the Lee dies. If you want top of the line get Redding Competition dies. Take a stiff drink before you look at their price however - they are the best, but they are the most expensive too.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »
Almost forgot  :o- Here is one place you can get dies

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=9857&categoryString=9315***731***702***8344***
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
Have no intention of sturring up any hate and discontent with those who use and enjoy Lee products, but it does pay to compare items from the different manufactures.

A quality trimmer will last for years, while the Lee trimmer, well -------------been there done that, anyway I have spent a bit more and got what I paid for.

As I recall, the trimmer I presently have was obtained used, years back and still works great.

I am all for the little guy who comes up with the better idea, but it does need to be a BETTER IDEA and not just cheaper.

Enjoy the process, but don't get discouraged with the lack of equipment and supplies available at present.

Hopefully we will live through this obomanation, but must remember the most important thing, God is still #1 and has ulitmate control in spite of what DC believes.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Don't overlook buys at local gun shows, swap papers, yard sales, etc.
 I don't do yard sales, but a buddy of mine is forever bringing over a box of "treasures' to share with me. Sometimes powder, primers, lead, dies, powder measures, trimmers. It's all available.

I grew up in a family that never threw anything away. It could always be rebuilt, or turned into something else.
A couple weeks ago, I was at a local gun show. One of the vendors had an old Pacific press that was getting looks of disbelief, but no offers. The 2nd time I looked at it, he said he had sold one the previous day for $20, but he'd take $5 for that one just to not have to carry it out again. The ram would move about 1/4" and lock up. It had both the large primer and small primer arms (I still use press mounted priming systems. After 50 years it still feels right to me) so I said I'd take it. You've maybe seen one - it's got the patent #1933940 on the right side and PACIFIC on the left side. It's a fairly heavy casting, but not as heavy as my old Herters Super 3. I took it apart (tapped the ram out with a block and a brass hammer) and gave everything a good going over with steel wool. After oiling, I reassembled and - the ram works flawlessly. It is a #250Ram and it's shellholder not only fits the 30-06 based family of cases, but also the 38Spcl cases. Never saw one like this. For $16, I bought a Universal Ram on the 'net, which accepts the RCBS line of shellholders. Sure the press is older than I am, but it is fully functional. I ran a batch of 30-06's, just for kicks, and it sized them as easily as the old Herters press does. Now I can be progressive. Put the sizing die in one press and the seating die in the other. My point being; for $21, it's as good as any "new" single-stage press for what you want to do with it. It probably would not handle magnum rifle cases for full-length sizing, but I am going to try some 7mm Remington Magnums in it as soon as I get the proper shellholder. It has enough space to run the cases, and I think a good lube will allow it to happen.

Anything you need, including complete reloading outfits, can be found in the daily papers and shopping guides and swap papers - mostly at really cheap prices as compared to full retail. Gives you more money to spend on primers and powder and bullets. Then, you can keep your eye out for a casting outfit.......

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 09:28:01 PM »
cabelas also has a large supply of dies in stock as well.

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »
Thanks for all the info, i was talking to a guy i work with about wanting to get a press and he told me he might have one if i wanted it so i went to look at it and it was a rcbs jr press with 4 or 5 dies powder measure scale and other stuff i have yet to go through all the items in the tote but by the looks of it should have every thing i need .for a low price of loading about 7 boxes of 44 mag for him when i get it set up i guest i need to go get some supplies and a book and get to work now.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »
Sounds like the "deal of the week" - and the adventure begins.

As you are setting up and acquiring supplies, it's a good idea to have more than one reloading manual and cross-check them when you start a handloading session.
In all fairness, once in a while you will find an obvious mis-print, though they are few and far between. Can't find a mis-print if you only have one source.
On the same tack, no two manuals will give the same minimum and maximum data, because no two weapons are exactly the same and this is one of the places where a little difference makes a big difference.
BUT, you can take all your sources, analyze them, and come up with an educated guess of where to begin and where to go. "Your" weapon will "tell" you, if you listen to it, when it's had enough. A little bit over the max for your rifle or hadngun won't hurt you, but steady diet of it can cause excessive wear and tear on your rifle or handgun which can lead to breakdown which can hurt you.
Temperature effects a lot of powders, but not all of them. A charge that works great in the spring, might lock up your gun in the heat of summer, or be a poor performer in sub-zero weather. Stay in tune with what you are about. I got into the temperature issue in Southern California. No where in the Northern States have I ever noticed it. Now, I try to lean towards powders that are known to resist temperature fluctuations.

You are embarking on a great journey. It's a terrific education; there is always something else to learn. On these forums is an unbelievable depth of knowledge and experience. Stuff you don't learn the first time you crank out a cartridge. Let the questions spring forth and be answered. I doubt you can experience or ponder anything "new", so....let it roll.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater