Author Topic: Gun Dog training  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Gun Dog training
« on: December 30, 2002, 09:38:05 AM »
Fellas:  Does anyone know where I can get information on training dogs to the gun.  I have had Standard Poodles for years and they are great field dogs when left on their own.  They will bring me all sorts of stuff, like rabbits, squirrels, some pheasant, even a turkey once, but they are not used to, accustomed to, or comfortable with the sound of gunfire.  

Throughout the entire rest of the world these dogs are considered 'Gun Dogs' or 'Hunting Dogs', except here.  And in my neck of the woods it is very tough to find out anything about gun dog training.  These dogs just love to go chasing things in the woods and I would love to go shooting whatever they are chasing - it is usually pretty tasty.  But, I need some help with training them.

Any advise will be appreciated.  Thanks.  Mikey.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Gun Dog training
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 12:13:30 PM »
:-D  Ther are lots of books on training dogs for hunting. Think of them as just another flushing/retreiving dog. Most parts of the country have trainers that work hunting dogs. Read a few books first so you have an idea what you are looking to  train them to do. What part of the country are you in? Maybe someone on this forum is near enough to help.