Author Topic: ejector problem  (Read 504 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
ejector problem
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
The ejector on the barrel of my 06 does not seem to have enough spring tension to lift the ejector high enough to engage the cartridge rim. I read the faq s, but decided to try a new spring and lift button. Does anyone know if they make a stronger spring for this problem. I may have to convert to the extractor only, as per Tims instructions. I  believe that I would have to chage this spring regardless of either change.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Jim36

Offline Manitobahunter

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: ejector problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »
I tried putting a BB in front of the spring on my 243 and it works fine.  Just a simple fix if you think the spring isn't strong enough.
Shoot straight

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
You can get a new lift spring from Brownell's, but you may be able to cut a longer hardware store spring to fit, but clean it good first, it may just be gummed up. It could also be missing the lift button, wouldn't be the first!!  :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »
Thanks guys. I ll make a trip to the hdwe store tomorrow. I removed the spring and it looks like it was homemade. The lift button was there. I m fairly new to this forum, and I can t seem to get rid of the addictive possession I have with these great guns. Thanks again for your replies.  JIM36

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »
Still having problem with the ejector. After putting a new and slightly longer spring in, it still stays low and will not eject. Ejector remains below the case rim. I noticed that pressure from the ejector spring seems to push the ejector down instead of up, where it should be.  What next?  Jim36

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:59:08 AM »
How tall is the lift button? It should be .170". Is everything installed correctly?

Tim

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »
Tim   I measured the lift button, and it is exactly .170. I used my mechanical engineering brain. lol. and made a longer lift button to around .196., and its working [for now]. Was not what I had in mind, but I guess I will replace the whole assembly. Don t tell anyone I used a nail head. It was only a trial and error thing. Jim

Offline MrJames680

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Squirrels are just plain no good.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
I had that same problem as well as a buddy of mine. I have a .243Win and the buddy has a .30-06. I was positive it was the ejector on mine till I read a post here from quickdtoo about keeping the camber really clean. So I made sure it was clean with a light polish job and I have not had a single issue. It really makes a difference if you leave some oil in there are fire a round. At one point I had a BB in there to increase spring tension. I no longer need it. In the case of my buddy's .30-60 this only helped the problem 75%. Until he polished the ejector parts and made them work as silky smooth. Still an occasional stuck case. Then he added a BB to the end of the spring and no longer has a problem at all. My buddy is a bit sloppy and so I still believe that he could have done a better job cleaning out the chamber. I hope this example help. Let me know!   ;)
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »
Tim   I measured the lift button, and it is exactly .170. I used my mechanical engineering brain. lol. and made a longer lift button to around .196., and its working [for now]. Was not what I had in mind, but I guess I will replace the whole assembly. Don t tell anyone I used a nail head. It was only a trial and error thing. Jim

I've made one from a nail before, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger, it may not last as long as the OEM parts, but they work. I'm wondering if someone has modified the latch? Glad ya got it working tho, that can be frustrating!!  :-\ ;)

Tim

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »
Thanks again Tim. I gonna go shoot it.  By the way, as I was fitting the barrel, I found an old set of Lansky knife sharpening stones , four different grits. They absolutely made the best for honing the shelf. Thought I would pass this on. Thanks again. Jim36

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
Great engineering minds think alike, I use Lansky hones too, they work great on the latch shelf AND for trigger hones too!! I use the diamond hone for latch shelves and the ceramic stone works great for fine work on the hammer and trigger.  ;)

Tim