Author Topic: Small cannon on monument at courthouse  (Read 499 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Small cannon on monument at courthouse
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:58:30 PM »
Here's one someone asked about on the CMH board, I was able to find out a little about its background.

Offline guardsgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Small cannon on monument at courthouse
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
 cannonmn,
  Where id this one at? The 31st mustered in accross the lake from me. They were sent to Cuba after the war for about 3 or 4 months and mustered out in Ga.

Bob

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:20:39 AM »
It is at the Ingham  County courthouse, whole story on the other board.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:22:59 AM »
cannonmn,

Funny how history sometimes can changes thru a minor writing. I havnt been to mason in many years and did not recall seeing the gun. Will have to stop next time I drive by.

Nice lot of vidio's of the displays at the Baltimore show. Perhaps you could post a link here to the 1841 inspection set to show the fine machining work of the period. It is to bad that there isn't a collection of the artillery fixtures used to make trunnion straps and other items to veiw here. Or is there?

http://www.military-historians.org/company/forums.htm

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:51:35 AM »
Perhaps you could post a link here to the 1841 inspection set to show the fine machining work of the period.

That's easy enough to do, anything I have on you-tube has its own url that you can see to the right of the "tv screen" and anyone can copy it and paste it anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zdu1G2nvjU

Likewise, the slideshows of still photos I've posted on the CMH forum all have their own url's which you can copy from the photobucket page, and you could copy them, paste them wherever.

I've had to state some restrictions for some images I got from one or two sources, if you recall the pix of the cannons in the museums in South America?  The owner/photographer stated that they were limited to personal use and could not be published commercially, so I repeated all of that in my Graybeard posting.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:59:59 AM »
It is at the Ingham  County courthouse, whole story on the other board.

So copy and paste and put it here!

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 05:12:50 AM »
This goes with the photo at the beginning of this thread.

Here's the provenance, from the county website:

"THE CANNONS OF THE COURTHOUSE LAWN

The large cannon is from the Civil War and was presented in 1900 by the Steele Bros. Post, G.A.R. #441 to the citizens of Ingham County for those who fought in the War between the States.

The small cannon is from Company F, 31st Infantry of the Michigan National Guard and has a unique history. In April of 1898, Company F left Mason for Nashville, then Georgia for training, and then to Rodrigo, Cuba during the Spanish American War. Troops then were at Rembios, Cuba where they did some fighting and also helped the villagers restore the buildings and roads in the area. When their job was finished and Commandore Dewey had destroyed the entire Spanish Fleet in Manila Bay, they were told to return home. The Cubans wanted to give them something to remember them by, but they were very poor and did not have much. They did not want the Americans to leave without a souvenier. In the mountains were some old cannons that were used to keep the pirates and enemies away from shore. The gave the company one of these cannons and cannon balls to take home. This 3 pound parrott gun and 40 cannon balls were sent to the Steel Bros. G.A.R. Post then later placed on the Courthouse lawn. The inscription reads:

"Company F. 31 Mich Vol presented by the citizens of Rembios Cuba 1898-1899."