Author Topic: Advice on a good all around pair of binocs  (Read 682 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Advice on a good all around pair of binocs
« on: September 06, 2003, 08:36:24 AM »
I have a buddy that wants to get a good all around pair of binocs.  He was thinking about a spotting scope but I would say for all around use the binocs are a better choice.  I have a pair of Swaroski 7 x 30's that I love.  But they are not an "all around" size.  What would be the way to go . . . say for under $800.00

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 09:19:18 AM »
Longwinters, several people recommended Pentax DCF WP binos since they are being closed out for a newer model . Bear Basin has them marked down. The DCP SP models are the new ones. They are supposed to be really nice. I have B&L Discoverer 7x42 binos I really like. By all around what size do you mean? To me 8x42 size is all around. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 01:18:06 PM »
I have Leica 8X42, and consider them an ideal size, and magnification.....
Regards,

Tom

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 04:24:30 PM »
Quality verses Price, I like the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42's.  These are a great pair of binoculars at a great price.  For $269.00, they are one of the brightest and clearest out there.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 11:05:51 AM »
For "all around" I am wondering about what would be the best for over all use. I suppose this is too vague.   In my mind something in the 8 x 40 range would be the answer . . . but I live in big woods country not out west or on the bean fields.  This guy is looking for something he can use out of his Jeep, or from the rifle blind.  I think he is looking for high magnification w/o the jiggling problem of the really big binocs.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 11:37:55 AM »
Jon has the best prices I've seen on Nikon optics. Nikons are probably the best buy for the money IMHO but if you're out in the elements it's hard to beat the Rain Guard B&L and Bushnell have. Will Leicia, Zeiss, and Swaroski be better? Yes but how much better I can't say. Poro prism binos cost less and have better depth perception than roof prism ones. You have to have phase coated roof prism binos to compete with poro types. Roof types are easier to hold and are more compact. For $800 your friend could buy decent compact and fulll size Nikon or B&L binos.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein