Author Topic: 32 S&W at 32 H&R mag levels  (Read 750 times)

Offline louiethelump

• Trade Count: (18)
  • "Deeds; Not Words"
32 S&W at 32 H&R mag levels
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
Hope the title was not too confusing.  I shoot only guns chambered for 32 H&R magnum, but have a lot of 32 S&W long brass.  I am looking for a load that is hotter than the very mild 32 S&W Long loads that are kept safe for break top and H&R guns in the manuals, but don't need full magnum level loads.  I want to use Unique powder and a 90 to 100 grain lead bullet.  In short, I am looking for a +P load to be put up in 32 S&W Long cases but will ONLY be used in 32 H&R magnum guns.  Around 1000 FPS would be perfect.

Does anyone have experience with doing this?  They will be fired in the Ruger Single Six single action, so gun strength is there.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please save the "don't do this as you might mix up the loads in some lightweight gun" warnings.  I am asking for loads you may have used, and I am totally responsible for my actions.

Louie
NRA Life Member
American

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: 32 S&W at 32 H&R mag levels
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »
Just curious as to why you don't just load the H&R cases lite ? 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline louiethelump

• "Deeds; Not Words"
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »
Because of having about 200 mag cases, and over 2000 S&W Long cases, and with the price of cases, not wanting to go out and spend a few hundred dollars to buy a couple thousand cases 1/10th of an inch longer than the cases I now have.

I can start with the 3.5 gr of Unique I have already used and work it up, but I thought maybe someone out there may have already done this.

This is the same reason for using 38 special cases for medium 357 mag loads.  Case availability.  In that case, the old timers such as Keith and Skelton had done the load work, and listed good using loads in their writings.  In their time, it was 32-20 that filled the role of the 32 mag today, and they did list hot loads for that.

Thanks for taking the time to respond
Louie
NRA Life Member
American

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »
That is a good reason. I was really just curious.  Good luck. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »
Hope the title was not too confusing.  I shoot only guns chambered for 32 H&R magnum, but have a lot of 32 S&W long brass.  I am looking for a load that is hotter than the very mild 32 S&W Long loads that are kept safe for break top and H&R guns in the manuals, but don't need full magnum level loads.  I want to use Unique powder and a 90 to 100 grain lead bullet.  In short, I am looking for a +P load to be put up in 32 S&W Long cases but will ONLY be used in 32 H&R magnum guns.  Around 1000 FPS would be perfect.

Does anyone have experience with doing this?  They will be fired in the Ruger Single Six single action, so gun strength is there.

Thanks for any suggestions, and please save the "don't do this as you might mix up the loads in some lightweight gun" warnings.  I am asking for loads you may have used, and I am totally responsible for my actions.

Louie

I'm curious here too. I inherited an SP101 in .32 H&R with a 3 1/8" barrel, but Dad had a lot of .32 S&W RN ammo with it. I'd like a nice stout load for the S&W as I only have a little bit of H&R brass, and the ammo he had were all specialty SD loads. Don't want to waste those sighting in.

I'm also thinking of trying it in a 30-30 contender using a chamber adapter to .32, and seeing what that would do.
held fast

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
Maybe do some research and see if you can find Dean Grinell's loads from when he was developing the long into the mag.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 05:36:04 AM »
There is a very easy way to do this, WORK UP YOUR LOAD ;D

I know that sounds like a smart ass comment, but really, that is the only way to go. I'd opt for something like a magnum pistol primer and powder and start low and work up.

You can also just work with similar powders like HP-38 and work up from there, 2.6g and work up for a 90g jacketed bullet.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline louiethelump

• "Deeds; Not Words"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »
Thanks for that input
NRA Life Member
American

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:03 AM »
I just don't see you getting a 1000 fps from the long cases , just not enough case capisity to reach that speed even with something like HP-38 and a 90g lead bullet .

Even with the longer case of the 32 mag -- MAX load will only get you to around 920 fps with a 90g lead bullet per Hodgdons .

Do as Ron said and work up , BUT don't expect to see the 1000 mark .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 01:01:32 PM »
OH! yes lets be clear here, even with a max charge of HP38 in the H&R case you will only get 950-970 so not it certainly will not get you to 1000FPS. I think with some serious study and playing with seating out the bullets very long you can likely reach it with a mag pistol powder, I just don't have the time to work a load for you.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline louiethelump

• "Deeds; Not Words"
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Thanks to all, but if you will read my message, I did not ask anyone to work up any loads for me, particularly with 231 when I am using Unique.  I only asked if someone had a standard load they use they would like to share.  I take it that so far, the answer is 'NO". 

I thank all that have replied so far for their time and effort to send an answer.

Louie
NRA Life Member
American

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »
I'm new to the 32 game, but the books I've been looking at show very little difference between the Long and the H&R. Ken Water's Pet Loads shows lots of Long loads above 900 with a 91 gr bullet, and one above 900 with a 112 gr.

Then I find H&R loads in my #47 Lyman book that barely get over 1000 with a 90 gr jacketed bullet, or 100 gr lead. They do show a few loads that make it over 1100 with a 95 gr lead bullet. Makes me wonder what I bothered to buy a magnum for, essentially 100 fps difference? Please tell me there are some zippier H&R loads published somewhere.

To the guys who say work up your load, exactly how do you do that at pistol pressures? Add more powder till the cylinder breaks and then back off a grain or two? You can't read your primers with a pistol like you can with a bolt gun, and I haven't got into strain guages yet.

Louie,  If you can be happy with 900+ fps in your Long cases get Ken Water's Pet Loads volume 2. I have been using the 3.5 gr. unique load at 979 fps for awhile now and it shoots good for me. Now tell me where you find H&R loads that are much faster than that.

Offline louiethelump

• "Deeds; Not Words"
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »
Now that is some information that I can use.  Thank you very much.  I will look into the Ken Waters book (mine is a very old copy) and will try the Unique load you mention.  I can live with a 900 plus a little load. 

Louie
NRA Life Member
American

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 04:34:23 AM »
Now tell me where you find H&R loads that are much faster than that.

90g Sierra JHC 1230FPS
100g XTP HP 1207FPS

Both with lil gun and published data from the manufacturer at safe pressure, those loads are less than maximum and from a 6" tube. You can push them faster but accuracy starts to fall off from there.

To the guys who say work up your load, exactly how do you do that at pistol pressures? Add more powder till the cylinder breaks and then back off a grain or two? You can't read your primers with a pistol like you can with a bolt gun, and I haven't got into strain guages yet.

You work with a safe plan of action and a chronograph or leave it to the professionals to do the pressure checks and publish the data.

Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:43 AM »
Thanks Reed, those are more like the numbers I had hoped to see.

Something I have been messing with is the 120 lee cast. It's a 30 cal rifle bullet that I have shot unsized. Trouble is I can find exactly 0 data for a bullet that big.

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
I'd use the 115g data for it, just be careful around max charges.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »
Louiethelump

I was using 4 gr of Unique in a .32S&WL case under a 115 gr cast bullet out of my original run Ruger SS with 6 1/2" barrel.  Velocity was at 950 fps and accuracy was excellent.  That was before I actually picked up a S&W M31 .32S&WL.  I don't load those for the obvious reason that they are 1/2 gr over the max lited for the .32S&WL.  I did manage to shoot 6 shots through the M31 though with no apparent damage.  I have been loading the max load of 3.5 gr unique with the 115 gr cast bullet and they shoot very well in both the Ruger .32 H&R and the M31 in .32S&WL.  I do have a strain gauge on my 10" Contender .32 H&R barrel and one of these days i will get around to some pressure testing for both cartridges.

Larry Gibson