Author Topic: Turkey season is right around the corner  (Read 562 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Turkey season is right around the corner
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »
I have wiped down the MAB 10 ga and hand loaded a bunch of 12 ga 3" Max loads for the wife. she just can not come to gribs with using a 3 1/2 mag.  We are going to rought it this year for the opening day of Maryland turkey.  We are going to Greenridge state forest and camp (We are talking tents here) with two other hunting couples.  We are going up on the Thursday before opening day set camp hang out (drink many beers) eat good food and have a great time.  I haven't been up in that area since grouse season but I pretty much know where the birds are this time of year. I plan on doing at least two scouting trips up there before the seasom comes in.

Anyone else planning their turkey hunt already?

Dave h
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: Turkey season is right around the corner
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
Yes,
But it will be the spring of 2010.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »
Yup, same ol' routine, have some new loads to try first tween now and the 15th of April, then head up to the farm on opening day, we've been hunting there for the last 14 yrs, check in with the farmer at about 9am, park in front of his barn, flip a coin to see which way we'll each go, then hunt until about 1pm, or until we tag out for the day, then back for lunch.... with stories to tell and and pics to take....hopefully!!  ;D

Good luck,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:54:54 PM »
I'm starting to gear up for it. I just picked up a Primos tight wad turkey choke for my 20 gauge Pardner and a few different boxes of ammo to try out. Our season here in NH doesn't start until the beginning of May so I have plenty of time to hit the range. We still have a lot of snow on the ground here so the birds are still flocked up. Around the middle of April I'll start going out scouting when the toms break away.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »
With all the "hubbub" with my daughters family and the divorce, I lost track of dates and forgot to apply on time or to even check for excess tags.  I just realized that over the weekend.  I have been kind of bummed about it.  That all changed when I was heading home this afternoon. 

I live in town, but we have lots of "Green Space" with lots of neighborhood parks and patches of woods and all.  IN TOWN, of course, so NO HUNTING.  Right there, next to a very busy intersection, in a commercial area, next to tennis courts and homes, a half dozen hens and a BIG Tom.  At least this year, I'll be able to find them.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
You're ahead of me Cookie, last year all I saw was a glimpse of a hen and called in a bear, I think I vaguely remember what a gobble sounds like!! :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
 :D AH HAHAHA

Think I'd really rather go in the fall, anyway.  2 yrs ago it was really warm when I went and the darn ticks nearly carried me away.  Hate them little buggers.  That's before you told me where to get that laundry stuff to keep em away. 

Better go check the DNR site and make sure I don't miss the cut-off for the fall hunt. :o

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 03:26:22 AM »
Dave that sounds like a great hunt, even if you don't get a turkey. Ihope to get out in the woods a little but my job always starts to get crazy around turkey season. I need a new job.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 07:27:28 AM »
Turkeys, Turkeys, why are they never where you want or expect them to be? Last night about 6:45 PM my wife was headed for bible study and was going to make a quick stop at our Son's house and see the grandaughters. She came to the intersection of Indian Trail and Rt 6A in Barnstable, a fairly quiet road and intersection, if you can call it an intersection, when the truck in front of her stopped, cars wrere stopped at all points there, and I have NEVER seen cars at each of those 4 points in 40+ years on Cape Cod.
It seems there were 8 big Turkeys in the middle of the roadway milling around and not leaving. I have seen a small flock of turkeys in that very same area on a couple of occaisions before but they were on the side of the road. These had the road blocked for a minute or two before someone finally edged into the group and they moved off the roadway. Nothing like the 13 that used to fly up onto my neighbors roof and then fly into the big old pine trees in his backyard to roost, but my wife enjoyed seeing them all the same....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 04:58:36 AM »
Yep it's open now for me.  Probably won't use a shotgun though.  My 223 14 inch barreled contender loaded down to Hornet levels will get any turkey I decide to shoot.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.