Author Topic: Here's my first cannon project.  (Read 720 times)

Offline barefiel76

• Trade Count: (0)
Here's my first cannon project.
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:44 AM »
I started this about 3 weekends ago. I still have a few final details to finish up but it's getting close.

-This a Dom barrel. 20" long, .75 bore
-Wheels are 20", carriage is 20" wide

Let me know what you guys think.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Here's my first cannon project.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »
     Very nice gun, are you sure that you have not done any cannon building before?  What tools did you use to shape the pieces of the wheels which are under the steel tires?  I see some fillets and astragals on that tube; did you specify those features and the breeching ring above the cascable?

3 weeks? really??

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
I hope the professionals are not looking too closly. I know there are errors and it's not completely historically accurate, but I like the carriage and love the barrel. It was actually 3 Saturdays. I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted. I know the next one should go smoother so maybe I'll go bigger.

I admit that the design and all features of the barrel came from Dom. I roughly explained what I liked and he made it. He kept me informed the entire time he worked on it so I knew where in the process he was. He is very impressive, but I think that has been establish already.

I do a lot of wood working projects so the wood work was not that bad. I did buy the 2 wheels on Ebay. I should have said that earlier. I took them apart, glued and wood filled them so they were useable. Tools: jig saw, belt sander, dremel, drill.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »
I hope the professionals are not looking too closly. I know there are errors and it's not completely historically accurate...

Looks to me that it meets the spirit of board rules---replicates a pre 1899 cannon.  So it's just fine.  In fact it's a pretty nice first build.  If you find fault in it, that's you, not us. 

Good job!!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:23:33 PM »
 Looking good.

If I started a project of that scale three weeks ago, I'd juuuuuust about have the nuts stacked neatly on the workbench by now. If I was feeling really fired up, might have located a wrench for them...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:17:13 AM »
Thats a fine job, looks real good. I like your woodworking skills, should be a fun one to shoot! That's next Saturday, right? LOL BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:52:34 AM »
That's a very nice cannon you have built. It will look even better after you add the rest of the hardware. Some people stop construction after they get their cannon on it's wheels and shootable but it's all that hardware that makes a field piece special.

Max

Offline barefiel76

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »
I am definitly planning to finish it with hardware. No telling how many more cannons my wife will let me get and work on.

Aren't we all our own worst critics with out projects? Next I want a Howitzer (and so the sickness begins.)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »
Barefield76,

Exellent job!  Enjoy your new cannon!

Best regards,
Dom

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »
A compliment on your first carriage build, job well done; looking forward to seeing your second build.

"And so the sickness begins": And the prognosis may not be good, it may well be that this type of infection is chronic, but fortunately for you, Dominick is the Dr. on call, and he will certainly provide the medication that your condition may require.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 06:11:57 AM »
You can treat this condition with stronger "medication", administered in increasing doses, but...there is no cure, and no antidote! I'm happily infected and am doing my best to spread the "sickness"! Doses of "thunder", smoke and fire do help! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!