Author Topic: scope reticle question  (Read 1014 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
scope reticle question
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »
I was think in trying the mil dot over the regular duplex reticle
any one here use the mil dot set-up for deer hunting if so what are your views on the mil dot

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: scope reticle question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:25:37 AM »
I prefer a mil dot for varmints but prefer a plex for hunting big game. Just personal preference really but on big game I want a bolder cross hair than most mil dots are.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »
Graybeard : are the center cross hairs on the mil dots could be called (fine) like the old time weaver fine cross hairs?

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
I've used mildots and Ballistic drop compensator's (BDC) reticles for deer hunting,

I like the mil dots, especially for ranging purposes, but I've used mil scales, stadia scales, and other ranging optics throughout my military career and now as a surveyor.

Have manged to put Burris' BDC's on all but one of my guns, in lieu of mil dots. Mainly because they are less expensive than the mil-dot scopes I preferred and I really wanted to "common optic" my rifles, just for continuity.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »
Graybeard : are the center cross hairs on the mil dots could be called (fine) like the old time weaver fine cross hairs?

Maybe not quite as fine as that but pretty darn fine for big game hunting in low light conditions at least as far as I'm concerned.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:20:26 AM »
I am not real sure about what kind of mil dot we are talking about. Many like the (Post & dot) and I knew that several years ago you could get the dot alone.

Case point: A J Charmichael article that I read several years ago talked about Jim using a mil dot in windy conditions with fog and light rain. When he got ready to shoot, there was several mil dots on that scope and he was not sure which one was his :o

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:09:45 AM »
They don't have the best glass (still pretty good), but the Pentax Gameseeker with the precision plex reticle is a ranging and ballistic compensation reticle.  For my 3-9 the subtension from the center post out to the end of the ranging line is 40" at 6X.  That means that I put it at 6X, look at the deer and find the nearest matching line from front shoulder to rump.  Then turn it up to 9X and use that line for my shot. 

Truth is, most duplex reticles can be used for ranging, you just need to know the size of your target and the subtensions of your reticle at a given power setting. 

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »
Truth is, most duplex reticles can be used for ranging, you just need to know the size of your target and the subtensions of your reticle at a given power setting. 

+1

That's why I've been trying to make all my scopes the same.

Offline gofish

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:29:02 AM »
Try www.eabco.com , go to tech reports , then click on how to use your mill dot scope. It will give you the basics .

Can't spell very well but shoot OK.

Offline gofish

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:33 AM »
One thing about mill dot scopes is that to have the system to work properly , the scope has to set at a specific powr setting. My muller scope its 10x , swift scope is 10x , by burris is 14x. At the eabco website they have a brand of scope that is programible . Hawke brand I think . Never used one and don't know any one that has one.

Can' spell very well but shoot OK .

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:48:13 AM »
If you get a mil-dot, I think the best one's are those that are accurate at 10X.  With this system, if you know your target size, say, 6ft, well that will be 2mils at 1000yds which corresponds to 10X on the scope.  The cool trick is, if ranging a 6ft target, zoom in and out until it takes up exactly 2mils and your power setting x 100 is your range.  So if it takes up 2mils at 4X, then your target is 400yds away.  It can also work for 36" targets (Like hogs or deer shoulder to hip) using 1mil instead of 2.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »

Exactly!! All rangefinding as well as ballistic reticles can be used for either application. Reticle and turret reference for both downrange zeroing as well as rangefinding are both based on the mil-ranging formula. Go here and learn to manipulate the mil-ranging formula for any multi-stadia reticle-- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf re: Item C) Reticle Rangefinding

Normally we can get within 5% of lasered range with any multi-stadia reticle we may be using at the time, including simple plex.

Offline gofish

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 02:27:51 AM »
Sscoyote very good read.  Thanks!