Author Topic: been reading been reloading been waiting for a nice day!  (Read 204 times)

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
been reading been reloading been waiting for a nice day!
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:56:29 PM »
Well the weather offered me a day to sit and shoot at are 75 yard range behind the house! I'm new to reloading and never fired a reloaded round that I made! But today the weather was about 50 degrees and no wind! The empty rounds were from my savage 111! So I neck sized them and checked the neck lengths! The lyman manual helped to produce a great round with no problems! The only thing that had me wondering & I have to ask is dealing with case lube when resizing! I do not have a media case cleaner! I use vinegar and lemon juice with a hint of dawn dish washing  liquid! They come very clean and new looking! But after lubing & resizing and liquid cleaning with my vinegar mix i have my wonders that the RCBS case lube is not all out of the inside of my cases! If there was case lube present would it contaminate the powder and new primer? Then how do people that load outside at the range using case lube get the oily film of case lube out of the inside of the neck area! For my own peace of mind I'm thinking about going to mica for inside neck lube! Anyone use mica? Any good distributers of a mica lubing station and mica powder?
Oh yes I'm hooked on reloading now! Thanks Dale

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: been reading been reloading been waiting for a nice day!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »
I have not had problems with powder contamination using case lubes. I have used Hornady, RCBS, (BOTH spray and pad) Lyman, (BOTH Spray and pad) and Dillon spray lubes.No issues.

I also use the mica sometimes, mine is a older Midway setup, with a hopper for the mica and a couple brushes standing ready to apply the mica evenly.

Good luck, its a great hobby!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: been reading been reloading been waiting for a nice day!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
Reloading is a great hobby. ;) I try to have carbide expander balls for my sizing dies. I need no lube with those. When I do not have carbide expander balls or can not get them - I use RCBS Case Lube 2. It is water soluble; consequently after using it, I drop them into some warm water and swish them around a little with my hands. I then lay them out on a towel to dry. If I am in a real hurry, I shake them out and put them into an oven for a little while. No worries about lube inside or out side the case. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.