Author Topic: Machining tip...  (Read 939 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Machining tip...
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:49:31 AM »
 For those using milling machines, this is a useful item to make to machine hard to hold items like large carriage pieces and such...

I made this out of an aluminum plate and bar years ago after being frustrated by having to remove, replace and re-indicate the vise multiple times to set up parts directly on the table.

This doo-dad allows you to clamp odd-shaped/large parts without having to remove the vise. Also, you can drill/tap clamp and locating pin holes exactly where you need them, or use C-clamps to hold work where it isn't possible when mounting directly to the table. You can also mill into it below the workpiece if required.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Machining tip...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:21:20 AM »
Victor3 -

COOL!   I like fixtures and anything else that reduces the time - especially in doing things over.

Your shop is MUCH cleaner than mine too!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:01:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
     For someone who is just starting to do some machining in their garage or basement, after you buy your verticle bandsaw, drill press and small lathe, consider saving up for a used verticle milling machine like the Bridgeport, Series-1 in Victor3's photo or in our shop.  When you do that, note the other four machining hints he displays in that same picture.  They are the Kurt Ang-lock Vise which replaces the original Bridgeport vise which came with our used mill.  Don't throw it away, however, as you may buy a little fishing boat someday and need an anchor.  Second, note those nice aluminum plate mill table covers he has to the left and right of the vise.  We have them too and they keep the chips, drills, c'sinks and end mills out of the milling table T-slots.  Third, note the nice 3 handle closure devise on the end of the vise's movable jaw screw which replaced the original Kurt flip-flop handle.  And fourth, note the small file for de-burring edges in place under the can of WD-40, both good things to have around when machining aluminum.  Thanks, Victor, lots of hints in your pic.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
 M&T,

Thanks for pointing those out. All of them probably cost me less than $100, but they've saved me a lot of grief over the years.

Apart from the tools, did you notice my high security feature there in the top R/H corner of the pic? Here's a better view...

I've also got an armored vehicle and crew standing watch, just in case...

And most imortantly, we need to keep them wimmins clear of the machining area lest they smear some perfoom on our cannon parts...

;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:31 AM »
Saving the best for last; the safe is a Cannon, too!!!!!!!!!!    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:40:42 PM »
     Victor3,   Sorry we missed the "Attack Cat" warning sign.  Of all your protection devices, that would probably be the most reliable.  A few years ago I saw a news report which described what happened when a perp, Jeffery somebody, threatened a Chemist shop proprietor, somewhere in London, England with a big knife.  "Sally", a 25 pound "Watch Cat" used her native attack instincts to leap without hesitation on said perp's head from her elevated perch over the shop's heating duct, and did a pretty good job of rearranging his facial features. He ran from the shop screaming and the police rounded him up quickly.  It appears the Sally was a "Watch AND Attack Cat"!  We use use 5 lbs. of black powder in each safe with a warning label.  If that doesn't keep rip off artists out, nothing will.  We keep CANNON related supplies in the safes."

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
Vic3 thats a nice stash of cannon balls in the upper left  8), center pic .

;D
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »
 M&T,

The sign is just for show. My cat would be runnin' for the door and wondering if 'Old what's his name' (me) was gonna survive long enough to fill the food dish one more time.  ;D

Interesting note on my mill - I bought it from Don Long about 10 years ago. He has the longest surface plate I've seen outside of an aerospace factory.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5377&Itemid=21

http://www.wdifl.com/techtalk18.html

Sherlock Holmes

Offline tapwater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Who? Me?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
   Victor...I'm curious about the little aluminum doo-dad to the left of the mill. It looks like a shot or jigger cup, but I have a hunch that's not what it is........ ??? I have an idea, but I'll let you explain. ;D
Send lawyers, guns and money.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 02:03:18 AM »
   Victor...I'm curious about the little aluminum doo-dad to the left of the mill. It looks like a shot or jigger cup, but I have a hunch that's not what it is........ ??? I have an idea, but I'll let you explain. ;D

Tap, if you're looking at this...

It was referred to for years by an English co-worker as my "darling little pot."

I use it to hold cutting fluid (note the acid brush next to it in the 1st pic).

If you were to guess it's original intent, I'd say you're a medium, psychic or know my English friend; only three people know the answer, and one is no longer with us.

It's a piece of 304 stainless that was to be polished, parted off and vacuum aluminized to serve as an optical component for getting light down into a beer bottle to inspect for foreign objects before filling.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 02:36:45 AM »
Is the cutting fluid you brush on from that 'darling little pot' also WD-40 from the gallon can?   ;D

Great idea - there are places and times when turning on the flow from the pump is just too much.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 03:44:52 AM »
Is the cutting fluid you brush on from that 'darling little pot' also WD-40 from the gallon can?   ;D

Great idea - there are places and times when turning on the flow from the pump is just too much.

A gallon? Who would be nuts enough to buy that much of the stuff?  ;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
It's a lot cheaper that way!