Author Topic: barrel not staying locked after firing  (Read 361 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
barrel not staying locked after firing
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:29:22 PM »
A quick trip to the range today. While I was there a friend of mine was shooting his 45 70. After each shot ,she would come out of battery. I brought his rifle to the house to take a look. After smoking the latch, I see that there is only about a quarter inch of lockup {horizontal} and about .90 vertical. The latch seems to be a little lower on the right side. If this is the case, how is the best way, if possible to build this right side to the same height as the left or in other words make it level for full lock up. I need your opinion before I do something to some ones rifle.  Thanks    Jim36

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
Re: barrel not staying locked after firing
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:39:31 PM »
To much liability. I'd recommend sending it to a local smith or back to the factory. If it were mine i'd fix after reading the faq's
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
Sounds to me like the latch shelf could use a little stone work to get the lock up consistent across the whole latch shelf , just take a fine honing stone to knock off some of the high spot , not try to build up the low area .

The latch is spring loaded so so by taking just a bit off the high spot you will get better latch shelf engagement .

Go easy and try it often to make sure you don't take too much .

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »
Sounds to me like the latch shelf could use a little stone work to get the lock up consistent across the whole latch shelf , just take a fine honing stone to knock off some of the high spot , not try to build up the low area .

The latch is spring loaded so so by taking just a bit off the high spot you will get better latch shelf engagement .

Go easy and try it often to make sure you don't take too much .

stimpy 

Exactly! 
 Also feeler gage check the barrel to the receiver. If this is loose, even a bit,  you can shim and reduce the engagement.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline RWK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
Why! is this happening so much, someones quality control just not happening. Rich