Author Topic: I Did The Math  (Read 1086 times)

Offline ctaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
I Did The Math
« on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:24 AM »
.223 remington
50 grn v-max bullet 25 cents
cci small rifle primer 3.5 cents
26 grns benchmark powder 10.7 cents
if you can find the components

=39.2 cents a round for handloads

federal value pack at walmart 41 cents a round

rolling your own priceless

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: I Did The Math
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
I know some rounds aren't as pratical as others, but start casting you own and the price falls even further. My 38 wadcutter rounds are down around 2 to 3 cents a piece . Of course I work at getting my lead at either extremely low prices or free. I just pick up a huge load of lead from my Father-in-law a couple months back for free. That load had my 2500 dodge bowing down a bit. I've had lots of people give me suff over the years. When they find out you re-use this stuff thier happy to give it to you. A guy just gave me 200 45 acp empties about an hour ago.

And for those who question the up front cost. You can go cheap or expensive. But if you shoot very much at all the recovery of investment is short.

Yes, this hobby is priceless.

OF
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:38:33 AM »
With 45/70 costing $1.65-$2.00 a round I think reloading is the way to go,casting your own makes it even better when you can get WW's free.I hear the gov. is trying to outlaw the sale of those soon.If you no what happens, all you need are primers (stock up) and the powder.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:44:32 AM »
I don't think we have to worry about them outlawing lead ww's.
The real problem is most of them are being made out of steel and zinc nowadays.

OF
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:59:32 AM »
Remember when we used lead sinkers?
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 05:43:20 AM »
.223 remington

how about bullet = $.16 per based on current Midway prices
powder = $.08
primers = $.03

I get $.27 a shot and nowhere near $.39.

Offline RonO777

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
    • Mr44Mag
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:34:30 AM »
.223 remington

how about bullet = $.16 per based on current Midway prices
powder = $.08
primers = $.03

I get $.27 a shot and nowhere near $.39.
If your gonna compare, you should do apples to apples. Not a V-max to a bulk (maybe a fmj) ammo.
I just got some 55g soft points from Midsouth for $.10 a round.
Ron

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
$25 for a box of V-Max in .22?
$3.50 for a box of primers?

Man, you got to learn to buy in bulk!!!!!  Then you can REALLY save some $$$s.

Don't you know bullets come in boxes of 1000?
Primers come in a sleeve of 5000.
Powder comes in 8lb kegs.

Your reloads of similar type components should be 50% the cost of factory ammo.......

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »
I did the math once and it scared me but I sure get to shoot alot more. ::)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline TwoSeventy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »
My Current load of choice in the 223

60 Gr. SP - 7.5 cents (Midway blemishes, appear to he Hornady)
23 gr. Benchmark - 7.2 cents
SR Primer - 2.6 cents

Total cost = 17.3 cents

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
I do not know where you buy your bullets from, but I have not paid any where near $25/100 for V-Max bullets. I shoot more V-Max bullets for my 223's than all other brands combined, so I buy mine in 250 sleeves. I think I paid about $37 for the last 4 I got which would equal about 15 cents each. I shoot Remington 7 1/2 primers because I get just as good as performance as CCI BR 4 primers and they are about $1 cheaper per hundred.

V Max Bullet = .15
Primer = .025
Your powder = .107

That adds up to 28.2 cents per shot. If you want to shoot a cheaper bullet, they are out there. I paid $36/500 for Mid South Varmint Nightmares. That works out to $.072/shot. Of course this does not include case cost which is a big variable. Some get 5 reloads, some get 10 reloads, etc. Then it also depends on how much you paid for your cases to begin with. Are they once fired military, Winchester, Remington, Lapua? Then you have the expense of the reloading equipment; of course if you already have that commitment, the expense is already laid out. While shooting now days is not as cheap as it used to be by a long shot - reloading is still cheaper than buying factory loaded ammo. In the "old" days I paid around $6.50/hundred for my Hornady 50 grain SPSX bullets for my 222 Remington (before V-Max bullets) and they were bought at a local shop that charged high prices. Around $10/pound for powder and under a dollar/100 for primers. This was before the internet where I could shop around and get better prices. I think relatively wise I was paying as much back then as now. Ammo was expensive too - that is why I started to reload. I think shooting has always been expensive, but reloading has always been cheaper than buying ammo. Besides, I like to reload. It is not as bad as you might think if you shop around a little. I know getting components right now is difficult and that might mean buying factory ammo to continue to shoot - but it still more expensive to buy than to reload; always has been and probably always will be. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline ctaylor

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »
dont get me wrong i'm not complaining but to local sporting goods store is gouging us badly
25$ per 100 50 grn v-max is with sales tax out the door how much is shipping from midway???
walmart cci primers 3.09 plus tax per 100 i bought the last 300 they had
if the locals carried in bulk i would buy it that way
otherwise shipping would eat you up
i am entering the variables in my situation
thanks for the replies

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »
The 223 is probably the worst example of savings for handloading. Yes it is cheaper but not like larger calibers. I have a new 45-70 and my local store wanted $40 for a box of Federal. I bought the dies, bullets and just cranked out my own. Store price per round, $2 my price $0.55, there is no comparison. I also have a 257 Weatherby, I am not paying $55 a box for their ammo either.
Handloading is the only way to go.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »
i  hadnt  reloaded since  1995  according to my notes

then  i bought  a 500 smith and wesson

bought  shells for the brass  a lee die set  and lee  440g mould [mold is not as good as my LBT molds]

price  the 500  or 45-70
you will relosd  too........or buy a  22lr
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
at $21.23 per 20 .204 ruger, or $33.87 per 20 45/70 reloading is a necessity for me. i have the components for the .204, but none for the .45/70(yet).
im still waiting on my press.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
ctaylor - Here is a typical order from one of the mail order houses at today's high prices. I just ordered some bullets from Midway USA. 500 Hornady 22 Hornet 45 grain - $78.95 ($.16 each); 500 Hornady 358 148 grain HBWC - $42.18 ($.085 each); and 500 Remington 357 180 grain semi jacketed HP bullets - $87.99 ($17.6 each). While I was at it I ordered a Hornady 38-357-357 Max Seating die too - $20.99. The total was $230.11. We pay 7% sales tax here now. That is $16.10 on $230.11. Shipping and handling is $18.40 on my order. I usually get it in 3 - 4 business days with the cheapest shipping. That is $2.30 difference. If I paid local prices for the same order, I would have paid more in sales tax than I did in shipping and pay less for the supplies. I have saved big over buying local. Some times you can get bullets even cheaper through Mid South, but in this case they were either higher or were not available. I wanted to order some 34 and 50 grain Mid South Varmint nightmare bullets, but they are out with no guess as to when they are going to get more. I will keep watching and order when available. I have an ample supply of V-Max bullets for now. I have 900+ of the 50's - about 700 of the 40's and some where around 150 of the 60's - don't shoot those much. All my guns are single shots; so that is a lot of shooting for me. I think the 40 V-max bullets are available on both the Mid South and Midway USA sites right now. I was tussling with myself whether to get more 40 grain V Max bullets or order the 45 grain 22 Hornet bullets. The 40 V Max are not not much more than the 22 Hornet bullets. Maybe $.02 or less more. You can get them cheaper if you order in 250 sleeves. Same for the 50 grain V Max bullets. I have some of the 45 grain 22 Hornet bullets on hand, but was down to about 150 or so. They work well in my 22 Hornets, 22 K Hornet and 221 Fireballs. Not sure if the 50 V Max are in stock or not - I did not check those, but are typically the same price as the 40 grain V Max bullets. Good Luck and Good Shooting

Offline ctaylor

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »
thanks again i blew thru about 150 rounds in my ruger 223 yesterday in some fast action p-dog
towns an another 50 rounds in my 204 handi so i better hit the loading bench ;D

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 04:05:17 AM »
And put in an order for some more reloading components. ;)

Offline NM Shooter

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
I just figured out my cost to load .308 Winchester with 168 grain Sierra MatchKings. I get all my brass for free from a friend. Total cost with the free brass is about $9.50 for a box of 20. The last time that I bought a box of the Federal factory stuff, it was well over $25.00 per box.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 01:57:35 AM »
look around theres still ball bullets for sale for 80 bucks a thousand.
blue lives matter

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
Primers have doubled in the past month - if you can find them! Over $60/1000 + shipping on the auction, is the going rate if not more. That ups the ante on cost, but still comes no where nears factory fodder in most cartridges. Powder is still ariound $25/lb - there just isn't much available. Not a fun scene.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater