Author Topic: Homemade Saiga Stock  (Read 1086 times)

Offline ThudThumper

• Trade Count: (0)
Homemade Saiga Stock
« on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:31 PM »
OK, first of all I just want to say that this site has really grown since I last logged in several years ago. I know, I should be ashamed.  ;D

Lately, I've been working on a stock for my Saiga 7.62x39. I've scrapped several designs, but I finally have one that resembles a stock. It's light-weight and stiff, but one thing it isn't is pretty (I got in a fight with the Bondo and lost.) I've never worked with fiberglass before, and I can certainly say that this has been one long learning experience. It's curing in the basement right now, but here's a pic of what I have so far.

Have any of you guys made your own custom stocks or forearms? I'd love to see some pics of your work, since I know that there are quite a few craftsman who frequent this site. Fiberglass, wood, metal, whatever...I'd like to see it all.

When the whole world is crashing down around me, atleast I'll have my SKS.

Offline ThudThumper

Re: Homemade Saiga Stock
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »
OK, I fit everything up this afternoon. Again, she isn't pretty, but she functions. Obviously, I won't stop here; now that I know everything fits and works, I can work on cosmetics.

When the whole world is crashing down around me, atleast I'll have my SKS.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »
Well, the AK47 was designed by Kalashnikov while he was in a hospital bed,
so you are off to a good start. The last entire firearm I designed was a Bullpup
Pattern in-line muzzle loader with an electronic ignition system. I love tinkering
with stuff like this. I am working on a big bore air rifle at the moment but I am following
several other folks designs on this one.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »
ThudThumper,
   Did you test fire that rifle before tinkering with it?  Have you had it long?  How does it shoot?  I've always had an interest in those rifles, but stayed away because of the infamous ak accuracy.