Author Topic: Water filled shot  (Read 413 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Water filled shot
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:08 AM »
I think the idea of making the round with an equal weight in water was genius, makes we wonder why nobody has ever done that since.
Opinions?

I have done just that.  Here are some precautions.  When I first started (1974-75) I filled soda cans with water and fired them from my first mortar.  If the charge was increased a little the can would flex (hydraulic pressure) and contact the sides of the bore.  Increased charge a little more and the can would split along the side.  Could the round seal enough for an instant of time to raise the pressure to unsafe levels?  I'M NOT GOING TO TRY, as I have seen a cannon explode from 15' away.

I thought it important to include a note of safety from experience; i.e.: don't try this at home.

So clearly at least the bottom and sides of the container have to be fairly strong to prevent this.  Soda cans don't qualify as strong any more.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Water filled shot
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
Soda cans don't qualify as strong any more.

At least soup cans are still pretty substantial when compared to the thin aluminum pop/beer cans.
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Water filled shot
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
Having compared them, they are directly comparable to the 'tin' cans of yesteryear.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch ....

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)