Author Topic: Not exactly muzzleloading, but opinions on the guns in this movie?  (Read 470 times)

Offline p51

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My cowboy shooting page...
One thing I think that Hollywood totally messes up is direct-fire weapons. Tank guns, AT guns, rockets, all that in movies makes you think you adjust fire with a calendar, it takes so long for the "round" to hit the target after the poof from the tube...
Anyway, 1988's "The Beast" was a halfway decent movie, but the opening sequences are in my opinion, the best simulated "indirect fire" sequences ever put to film that didn't use live ammo! I was in a mech unit on active duty and was near M1 tanks firing live rounds frequently, this is what that looks like for the most part. Check out this you tube link if you've never seen it. You'll start to think they used live rounds!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izT7mBvE8U
Consultant Dale Dye's website talks about the tank fight: http://www.warriorsinc.com/FilmThoughts.cfm?ProjectID=7
I think the idea of making the round with an equal weight in water was genius, makes we wonder why nobody has ever done that since.
Opinions?
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Not exactly muzzleloading, but opinions on the guns in this movie?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:11:12 PM »
Looked real enough to me !

Around here though , we make flash ,fire ,BANG the old fashoin way ! HE rounds  :D....not so much .

The thing that always bugged me about that movie was the tank comander going the wrong way at the T when every other tank had turned left leaving umongous rutts and tracks in the ground this bonehead hangs a right .

Death wish ...I guess because nobody is that stupid .

gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
We no longer have an exotic weapons forum on GBO or I would move this topic there. Even though the discussion is interesting it's not within the scope of this forum and is out of topic.  Since we don't have place for it I will lock it. 

This the Blackpowder mortar and cannons forum for discussion of pre 1899 designs only.  We have managed to keep the focus of this board with in this narrow scope up to now and that is what makes this board what it is. We will continue this narrow focus.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:44:19 AM »
I think the idea of making the round with an equal weight in water was genius, makes we wonder why nobody has ever done that since.
Opinions?

I have done just that.  Here are some precautions.  When I first started (1974-75) I filled soda cans with water and fired them from my first mortar.  If the charge was increased a little the can would flex (hydraulic pressure) and contact the sides of the bore.  Increased charge a little more and the can would split along the side.  Could the round seal enough for an instant of time to raise the pressure to unsafe levels?  I'M NOT GOING TO TRY, as I have seen a cannon explode from 15' away.

Was this locked, DD?  Sorry, I thought it important to include a note of safety from experience; i.e.: don't try this at home.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)