Author Topic: Any of you carry your weapon in your boot or an ankle holster?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline GeneRector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
 :) Howdy!  I have been thinking some about concealed carry, but am interested in a comfortable carry as well.  Do any of you carry your pistol in your boot or in an ankle holster?  What seems to be a comfortable place to carry your weapon?  The reason I ask about the boot is that here in Texas a lot of people wear cowboy boots, etc.  Would like to hear your views.  Also, what is a good "revolver" to carry concealed and what is a good "semi-auto" caliber as well?   Thanks!   Bill (Graybeard) let's hear from you, too!

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline williamlayton

Re: Any of you carry your weapon in your boot or an ankle holster?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
No. I think ankle holsters are clumbsy and uncomfortable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
No. I think ankle holsters are clumbsy and uncomfortable.
Blessings

But you never know what William might have hidden up the sleeves of his silky kimono. :D
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
With the new little Ruger and the Kel-Tec's,pocket carry is pretty comfortable.I have used an ankle holster for a S&W 36,but all day you think you have a ball and chain.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:41 PM »
I have a unclemics ankle holster with a sock it is comfortable all day long. I also just bought a simply rugged holster for my inside the waistband on my right side. I have worn it a week and love it, is the best holster I have seen. I carry a S&W 642 38cal. When I don't have a long shirt I will wear the ankle holster, but with shorts I wear the inside the waistband holster. I also have  a holster that fits on my back inside my waistband but it is the most uncomfortable to wear as I am 265 pounds and it hurts to sit in a chair with this one.
Eph2:8-9

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:57:29 AM »
no!  i want to get at my handgun now, not get undressed first.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
Two very good points here. WQilliamlayton hit the nail on the head, and bluecow provided addition input as to why ankle carry is not practical.

Many years ago I bought an ankle hoster and gave it a try, as Bill stated it is clumbsy, the holster never stays in place, it is uncomfortable and hard to get to if needed in a hurry.  Along the same line, I have worn boots all my life, I thought an inside the boot holster would be great.  I took a pair to my bootmaker and ask him to design and install a holster in the boot. It never did feel right, so we adjusted and put it on the outside of the boot.  That never felt right either, I scraped the idea since I almost had to take my pants off to get to the gun.

As stated above, a small framed gun and inside the pocket carry has proven to be the best method I have found for most carry.  When I can wear a coat I like a inside the pants holster for a large frame gun. 

My best advice, try everything until you find what suits YOU best.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
Except for VERY SPECIAL circumstances where it might be appropriate using ankle carry helps to trim the gene pool of folks who aren't wise enough to properly defend themselves.

How the heck ya plan to get to it when you need it if bad guy approaches you? Ya gonna say whoa hold it bad guy I gotta get my gun frum my ankle holster?  ???

Now if you were seated a lot and behind something like a desk or table that might hide your move for it then it might not be such a bad place. Otherwise I'd forget that plan completely.

If the gun is not readily available you might as well leave it home.

I use pocket carry in a vest a LOT. I can actually stick my hands in the vest pocket and be holding the gun for instant access and can fire without pulling it out if needed. It is one of my favorite carry methods.

As to guns I use a S&W 638 often it has the shrouded hammer but still has a hammer in case I want to make an accurate aimed shot single action rather than DA. I like Kel-Tecs and Glocks also and use both.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:39 PM »
Ankle/boot carry is okay for BUG only.  Like others have said your primary gun needs to be more accessible.  For cooler weather when jackets and or bulky sweaters, etc is the norm an OWB holster that tucks the gun in against your body is the way to go.  During warmer seasons one of the an IWB holster that allows you to tuck your shirt is hard to beat.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
 :) Howdy!  I really appreciate all of the suggestions.  This forum can be a real education if you ask before trying to buy or try something. I will forget about the boot or ankle holster idea and really consider those that will give a balance of quick retrieval and concealment.  Remember, your views are always appreciated!  Thanks!

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline S.S.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
Not Legal in many states including mine.. Uncomfortable, Sweaty, slow to access.
not for me!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
Skunk
The red Kimono with the big snake crawling out the front?
How did you know?
Blessings ;D
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »
As far a comfort goes, get a kel-tec/ruger lcp.  Super light not to hard to learn to shoot and you will never leave it at home.  I really like pocket carry as it is comfortable, and with the restrictions on what I can wear at work this method is always possible.  I like inside the waste band as well and it works in many cases as well.  I have several holster and that allows me to taylor where I carry to what I have to wear.  I once thought ankle carry would be the way to go as well but after some reading, found out it was a no go.

Offline Horsefeathers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 09:50:14 AM »
I might have mentioned this before.I saw a guy trip on stairs and break his ankle due to his ankle holster. A woman was bit on the arm by a  dog. I asked why she did not shoot it. She said she had an ankle holster and was afraid the dog would bite her throat if she reached down for her gun. Horsefeathers.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
the guy who runs the Redwing boot store says he does a good business sewing in gun and knife holsters . I don't carry that way but as a back up why not ? would seem good while driving . might try it as my front pocket carry is impossible to get to fast with the seat belt on . Any other time you have to put yourself in a bad position to get it out .
I like my mod. 38 airweight for carry . Thinking about a 340 PD . not sure about the no exposed hammer . I don't care for small autos they are flat and hard to get a good grip on when covered in a pocket .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 01:33:19 AM »
Like most on this forum I tried the ankle holster. I found it only worked with boots as it would work it's way down and be exposed with regular shoes or sneakers. It also had to be tighter than what was comfortable if it was to be stable enough to trot accross a street to avoid a car. Otherwise it would flop around and I would be concerned about losing it. I now carry a 12oz hammerless Smith airweight 38 and just stick it in a pants or jacket pocket. The gun is even light enough to put in the pocket of sweat pants without a belt. I like the hammerless design because it won't jam when firing from inside a coat pocket.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
I guess I have to "crawfish" a bit on my previous post.  I was discussing this with a friend, he pulled out a holster he said was made by Duncan (?)  he said it was very confortable with boot cut jeans, and held the gun well even when running.  It had a lambs wool backing that rode against the ankle to pad it and make it more comfortable. 

I am still not sold on the ancke hoster, but his did seem to fit nice, and didn't move around much in the short period I wore it.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
I haven't tried it as it seems so uncomfortable and really out of the way when I might need it.  I might as well leave it home and go back for it.  It seems that the best use for an ankle holster would be as a backup for a cop.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 03:18:04 AM »
No!  Too hard to get at quickly.  You can hide a reasonable gun on your belt, quickly and easily at hand.  You just need to think about your clothing and how you dress.  For instance, I have to buy my pants one size larger to accomidate an IWB holster.  Just my 2cts.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!