Author Topic: most powerful 45lc to use  (Read 963 times)

Offline blastingcap

• Trade Count: (0)
most powerful 45lc to use
« on: April 01, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
Hi all. I'm fairly new to cap'n ball pistols. I have a 1858 new army and a 1860 colt- both are .44 uberti's. I have a r&d conversion
cyllinder for the 1858. My question is "What is the strongest and safest .45lc to shoot.--thanks DaveP

Offline Flint

Re: most powerful 45lc to use
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
Any "Cowboy" action shooting load, or a full case of black powder.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:04:07 AM »
Before Elmer Keith for into hot roding the .44 special he first tried to soup up the .45 Colt. After destroying a couple of single action Colt revolvers he finally concluded "no smokeless powder load safe to fire in Colt revolvers will equal the power of the Remington blackpowder factory load". Today we have many powders not available to Elmer back then but it is still good advice to keep smokeless loads short of blackpowder velocities. I have a Kirst Konverter, the five shot gated conversion, on an 1860 replica and the outside chamber walls measure only .033" thick. That's pretty scary business and you bet I keep loads light. That is why original Colt conversions were in .44 Colt caliber and why the modern conversions are five shot, .45 Colt just won't fit in a six shot cylinder in an 1860. I'm very impressed that Colt was able to shoehorn six .44's into that rebated cylinder. The Remington is a larger cylinder and a stronger frame, but still not a Ruger Blackhawk or even a new vaquero. In working up loads for my Kirst converted 1860 I started with loads under 600 fps and worked up very slowly. The hottest load I've tried so far is a 200 grain bullet just shy of 900 fps.
 Another consideration is rifling twist rate. The cap&ball revolver was designed to fire round balls or short conicals. My Pietta 1860 has a 32" twist, the standard for .45 Colt is 16", or twice the twist rate of the C&B revolver. I tried a few 250 grain SWCs and RNFPs from my Pietta and they were all over the paper. My best groups have come with .457" round balls but 200 grain RNFP are not too bad at about 2 1/2" groups at 25 yards.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline blastingcap

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »
good info- thanks. I shoot a 1911 commander, 45acp. And what a recoil! The cowboy .45 colt has 100fps(?) less velocity but much, much less recoil. --DaveP (aka) blasting cap.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:45 AM »
I have an R&D cylinder for my 1863 Piatta Remington replica.  I bought it originally to get a cheaper second 45 colt for cowboy action shooting.  I have shot it with 200 gr slugs pushed by 6 gr of Red Dot from that revolver.  The gun did not shoot to the same point of aim as my black powder C&B cylinder does so eventually bought a second Uberti 1873 revolver.  Now I use the conversion cylinder for hunting with my remington.  I load 45 Schofield brass with 28 gr of FFFG and a .451 round ball.  I push to ball into the case till it is flush and put a ring of bore butter over it.  This load shoots to the same point of aim as my C&B load and is waterproof in the rain.