Author Topic: getting started again, need advise  (Read 591 times)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
getting started again, need advise
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
when i was younger, I had a couple of .36 cal army pistols, one was a police and the other an 1860.

I had one heck of a time getting the pin out of the 1860, so I never fired it, since I couldnt clean it properly, the police was shot often and although the pin was stuck I was able to clean it enough to prevent any major problems.

I am now looking to get a pair of .31 cal revolvers for some small game hunting, and prefer the pocket revolvers.

my dilema is this, are the pocket navies easy to take down, and clean, and is it easy to load and have a spare cylinder ready.
also, I was looking at the remingtons as well, since you are able to get the spare cylinders, I assume these are easy to load up a spare. the only problem with the remington is the lack of a trigger guard.

anyone have some input. Im open to both, I may just get one of each, not sure, Id just like the option of loading the spare, since I can almost alway count on a rabbit slippin through on me.

Dave

Offline Cowpox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: getting started again, need advise
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
Hi Dave,

If you want .31 caliber, you will want to compare the Italian made clones of the 1863 Remington, and the Colt 1849 Pocket revolvers.

The Pocket Navy and 1862 Pocket Police are small, 5 shot revolvers built on the 1849 frame, but both are .36 caliber.

I have a Pietta 1863 Remington, and this would be the one that would be much faster to switch cylinders on.  However, it is a very small pistol, and I find my friends 1849 Pocket to be a little larger, and fits the hand nicer, making it better to control, and hit with.  The drawback on the 1849 would be the extra time it would take to switch cylinders.

That being said, I would suggest that you go to a Cabelas, or other store that would stock both, and handle both types, then decide which one you find more pleasing.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »
I did some looking around, all I could find in the 1849 .31 pocket navy was the Uberti and they want 299.oo for it. ouch!!!

I also watched a few videos of people shooting that remington, and dang that is a small gun, I like it but may not be what im after.

Ill take a look at the 62 pockets, I just wanted to keep the barrel lengths shorter.   I have the army police and its a large frame, would be cool to keep the same cal, just to keep things simple, the rabbits wont mind.

thanks again,

Dave

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »
Wow !  Times have changed again.  Just took a look at the two main online gun auction sites (Gunbroker and Auctionarms).     

The original 1849s are plentifull, but reproduction ones are scarce.  The few listed are a couple of Wells Fargo (no loading lever), and one Uberti 1849, and you are right !  $300 is what they want for them.  There are several Colt Signature 1849s listed, but they want at least another hundred for those.

I have bought most of my cap and ball revolvers from these two sights, and have found keeping track of what is listed, about once or twice a week, will usually get a bargain, if you are not in a hurry.

On the bright side, Auctionarms has one Pietta 1863 Remington listed with a $230 Buy It Now, and a Traditions (also made by Pietta) 1863 Remington, with a $157 Buy It Now, which is a pretty decent price.

They are black powder guns, so they can be shipped to your door.  You have to send proof of age with the payment.  I send a photo copy of my drivers license. 
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline curtism1234

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »
While heavier and a full size frame, the 1858 does come in a 5 1/2 barrel. It's a pretty significant difference in feel compared to the longer barrel 1858 though.
I know they make it (5 1/2) in a 44cal but not sure about a 36.
I do know the 1858 is made in a 36cal with the 8 inch barrel.

Uburti, Cimmeron, etc are blocked on my computer here at work so I'm unable to check. So if this interests you, you'll have to take a look  ;)

You know, and another idea would be to purchase a small framed single action centerfire revolver from Uberti, Cimmeron, etc. You can shoot black powder loads if you like seeing the smoke.

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:40 AM »
thanks guys, Ive looked around and I think Im going to get these, not in any specific order

--a pair of 1849 pocket navies

--An 1858 rem with 2 spare cyl in .36 and 5.5 bbl,, I checked and most places carry that one in stock

--one or two of the pocket army in .36 with a 4.5 in barrel, cimarron makes them and I may be able to get it from texas jacks.

--a pocket remington .31 to go with the 1858, need something else in the case to keep it company.

Itll cost me some cash and alot of time saving up, but Im wanting to buy them and get some nice display cases to keep them in, would be nice to decorate my office with, when im not shooting them

to me bp revolvers alway look better as a pair, most likey since alot of folks carried 2 so they didnt have to find a way to reload during a fight (so ive been told anyway) and i guess that idea is  just stuck in my head, whether its true or not.

I did finally get my army police apart to clean it, wow, what a chore, it never was taken apart, pin was terribley stuck, and I had to clean it that way, then It went through a flood in 2000, so it was a bit of a mess, took it all apart and cleaned the internals as well, got almost all the rust off, a bit around the nipples, but if I replace them it should clean up good enough. from a few feet away it looks like new and to be honest runs smoother than it ever did. cant wait to take it out for a test.

thanks again guys, cant wait to jump back in, its been over 10years, and long over due.

Dave