Author Topic: Why Black Powder Cannons?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline tapwater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Who? Me?
Re: Why Black Powder Cannons?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »
   I wish I could be more original with an answer, but it all comes down to making loud noises and sending things downrange. I started playing with gunpowder before the age of ten and was already shooting all sorts of firearms. Making bigger booms led to a lifelong love of pyrotechnics. My cannon is over 30 years old and has gone through several tranformations. I've never caught the bug to be historically correct. Being a crude, old farmboy, form follows function.
   Besides all that, I get a kick at the response from city friends that I can do this all in my own yard!

Crude, but safe and effective. 2 5/8" x 16" bore.

Send lawyers, guns and money.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
DoubleD actually haven't fired that little cannon in about 15 years. Still have some round balls and fuse for it. no one around here stocks black powder so really never gave it much thought. Polished it up and somewhere managed to loose the quoin. Can always make one up. Frank

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »
Frank how far are you from these folks?

Clarksville Gun & Rod
803 1/2 Vine Street
Clarksville, Arkansas 72830
(479) 754-8358

Black Powder Distributors
Powder, Inc.
1861 North College Ave.
Clarksville, AR 72830
479-705-0005, Fax: 479-754-6281
Toll Free: 877-833-1799
E-mail: powderinc@centurytel.net
www.powderinc.com

Jacks Powder Keg
P.O. Box 429
Marksville, LA 71351
(318) 253-6423, (888) 245-9631
Fax: 575-393-6060
www.jackspowderkeg.com

You can also order direct from Graf's http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 01:42:02 AM »
I've been messing with BP and with cannons for around 40 years........ with me it's the percussion, the smell........and satisfaction of designing, building and firing a muzzle-loading weapon, whether it be a cannon or a smaller weapon. I'm not too bothered about hitting a target - I'm quite happy firing blank charges, so long as it's LOUD.
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:04 AM »
barton...

I am with you brother.  I figure if I hit the ground every time I shoot the thing it has been a good day.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 05:34:12 PM »
DoubleD, the last dealer is not that far from my house. Will write diown the info and telly####. Thanks. Frank

Offline and7barton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 01:20:44 AM »
barton...

I am with you brother.  I figure if I hit the ground every time I shoot the thing it has been a good day.

It must be something to do with making a LOT of noise with ME. I built and ran a turbo-jet engine (Very noisy), before that, it was a pulse-jet (more noise)........ I played in a loud rock band (even more noise) - fired a load of weaponry in a shooting club..........
I've now solved the noise issue....... I've lost around 50% of my hearing - Problem solved !
Founder in 1986 of Historical Artillery Corps, later changed to Historical Artillery UK.
Builder of Cannons and models for South-Western Artillery, Fort Amhurst, Coalhouse Fort and private commissions.
Technical Consultant for two episodes of Scrapheap Challenge. Ex Pyrotechnic Safety Officer at Coalhouse Fort. I go trekking and survivalist camping - build experimental tents and survival equipment - caving.