Author Topic: Custom Bullet Mold  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Custom Bullet Mold
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:08:52 PM »
I know this may not be the most applicable place to post this, but I know that most people who have the patience to work on a handi also do a lot of reloading and casting.  I got the wild idea of making my own shotgun slug mold since there is a severe lack of molds for shotgun slugs.  I would like to practice slug shooting more but cost is prohibitive at $13 bucks/5 shots.  It would just be a single cavity mold machined into 7014 aluminum, or steel (basically which ever I can get my hands on).  Before you say anything about aluminum, I read a report about a machinist who created a 4 cavity mold out of 7014 that worked out very well holding heat and casting very good bullets.  I am looking to design a slug very much like a remington buckhammer that uses a standard shotgun wad.  I have a couple of questions for you guys.  What is the slug size of a full bore 20 gauge slug?  Does anyone make 20 gauge dies for a standard rifle press or am I going to have to purchase a lee load all?  And finally, would anyone be interested in purchasing slugs if I do start on this project? 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
Re: Custom Bullet Mold
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
Here's the site for the Engineering Teacher who started making his own molds.

www.usi.edu/Science/engineering/moldfixture/MakingBulletMolds.doc

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »
First...why re-invent the wheel?  Have you looked at this mold from Lyman?

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1244120

This is the 20 gauge verison (despite the typo in the write up...).  I have one in the 12 guage and find it to be pretty effective and acceptably accurate.  Its unfortunate its a single cavity mold though.  It uses WAA12 wads and the standard star crimp.

As for your other question...I could be wrong but I am pretty sure you will need to get a reloading machine for shotgun.  I use a Mec 600 Jr and it works quiet well for me.

Just a thought...

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:36:44 AM »
well, dang all I could find were square wheels so I thought i'd make a round one. but since you've shown me the light, I'll have to check it out. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline Matt3357

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:49:03 AM »
I've checked out the Lyman slug and a problem I have with it is that it is a saboted slug.  I have discovered that full bore slugs shoot better out of my shotgun.  I would like to re create the general shape of the buckhammer with the tail that fits inside the wad for stabilization. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

-Otto von Bismarck

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
Here's some 500gr 20gauge slugs that I bought from Dixie Slugs. I don't use anything special to load them but a rollcrimper and preprimed Fiocci hulls. I think most of my problem with them is they may be a tad heavy so I may try and drill some grains out of the bottom for the next test go around.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:13:52 AM »
Ahhh, THANKS for starting this thread!

Now that I've made 2 moulds (1") I'll go small bore and make a mould for my double bbl 10ga.

Any suggestions as to form or shape?  I can go up to 2-1/8 oz on the heavy side, but would prefer to keep it down about 1-3/4.

What about diameter?  How much clearance?  I have a matched pair of cylinder bore chokes.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)