Author Topic: case trimmer suggestions  (Read 763 times)

Offline hardly

• Trade Count: (0)
case trimmer suggestions
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »
I am fairly new to reloading and am at the point that i need a case trimmer.  Currently shooting .223, 22-250 and .308.  Usually reloading 50 to 200 rounds per month.  I think a manual trimmer will be ok for me and would like to stay under $100.  Looking at the Hornady Cam Lock Trimmer at Midway for about $65 and the Lyman Accutrimmer for $47 or Lyman Universal for $62.  Looking for recommendations.  Looks like I have time to decide cause like everything else right now, they are all on backorder.  thanks

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: case trimmer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »
Had an RCBS, liked it.  Got a Forster, LOVE it!   ;D
Actually I still have the RCBS and find I can trim my 45-120 brass with it which I can't with the Forster unless I got a "Classic" base.   :(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
I too am a Forster fan , so much so that I have 3 set up and a forth for spare parts , picked them up on E-bay for about 1/2 the price of new .

Even the Lee hand trimmers with their Zip Trim gizmo is not too bad for doing small lots of brass , don't know if I'd want to do a few hundred at a time with it though .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
Go for a little over $100 and you can get a machine that takes care of all brass prep with a little modification.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,169017.msg1098781430.html#msg1098781430

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81l62J1VmI
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline B2crawler

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:24:14 AM »
I have a RCBS trimmer that I bought years ago and the three way cutter to neck turn.  It works OK....would like to use the Forester some day.  When I'm not worried about the necks I've bought trim dies.  They are as simple as it gets and pretty fast I think.  Anyone else use trim dies here?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »
like my lyman alot .
but alot of the time on standard cases i use a lee hand trimmer in a bat. drill .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
I still use a trim die.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »
The L.E. Wilson trimmer is my favorite. Robust, extremely accurate/consistent, and relatively inexpensive (~$40 for the trimmer plus ~$8 for a case holder). Sinclair has a fancy stand and clamp for it, and a really nice micrometer adjustment screw, but they are not really necessary (the micrometer screw would be more convenient, but it costs more than the whole trimmer).

Andy

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Stimpylu32, I have a Lee trimmer for 5 different calibers. They work great for small batches, as you said. Then came the day (day? more like a week!) that I did 2000 military LC 5.56 cases. No fun, believe me!!
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
My Forster is 38 years old.  I have used and still own a Lyman and it is okay.  The trick is to get into a trimming regimen and not wait until you have to lop off .3"or more.  I personally hate trimming, but I set it up infront of the boob tube and before you know it I'm finished.
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »
I use the lee trimmer. I put the end thay holds the shell in my drill. I can trim pretty quick with it.  I have the arbors for all the calibers I load for. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:30:17 AM »
I have an RCBS Trimmer. Its a hand-turned model, but yesterday I removed the knob, chucked up the lathe shaft in my cordless drill and prepped 200 22-250 cases. It the only trimmer I have ever owned, but it works well for me.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:39:21 AM »
I use the Lee trimmers pretty much all the time now for three calibers if you already have the drill about $30 should cover everything you need. Case length gage and shell holder for each Cal. $5 each,cutter head and stud universal $5,Chamfer/deburring tool $5.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:01:42 AM »
Well guess I'll be different here,used a forster for 23 years till it was in need of a new cutter head,so went and got a new Hornady trimmer,very happy with it for last 8 years or so.Also have and use the lee trimmers for small batches and they do well too.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:32:58 AM »
The great thing about the Lee tools (in addition to price) is that you can't over trim. They take you right down to, but not beyond, max case length.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »
and it is the same every time . sometimes this is good others its not so good .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
I must echo on the Lee trimmers. I use my cordless drill with a piece of 0000 steel wool and do all my case prep wile watching TV with the family. I use the Lee hand press with the collet sizing die and the Lee Autoprime as well so I can start with dirty fired cases and at the end of an hour long show have 40-50 cases neck-sized, decapped, cleaned and primed ready for powder and a bullet. I love the Lee trimming system

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
I recently went from an RCBS hand crank to an RCBS Power Trimmer. I wish i would have done this years ago. I enjoy trimming brass now, with great precision and in mass quantity. I highly recomend it. The economics are there, since you will only need to buy one trimmer, ever.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.