Author Topic: COL help  (Read 315 times)

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
COL help
« on: April 12, 2009, 05:10:40 AM »
First off happy Easter to everybody. I am loading for a .204 Handi. Checked the maximum COL for it and it measures 2.380. My Lyman manual says recomended COL for the .204 is 2.250. I know Handi's can have a lot of slop in there chamber. I have loaded some min loads with a length of 2.300 with a definate accuracy gain. My questions is can I keep working my cases up longer up around my maximum COL. Was thinking of stopping around 2.370 or so as long as I don't see any pressure signs. It just seems so much longer than the reccomended 2.250 I'm just wondering if it will be safe. Thanks for the help.

Offline Luckyducker

• A Real Regular
Re: COL help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:38:19 AM »
JW, you don't state what bullet you are loading for the 204 but I am going to assume it is a standard "cup and core" bullet.  They can be loaded to at least .010" from the lands without any problems at all, in fact I have loaded 100 grain bullets in a 243Win out so far that I had stiff bolt lock without any pressure problems.  I have found that most rifles like them loaded to within .010" of the rifling.   

Offline jw83

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:45:51 AM »
Using 32g Hornady V-Max bullets.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:59:03 AM »
Not quite sure about your statement "Handi's can have a lot of slop in there chamber." but some Handi Rifles can have a rather long throat. I have a .223 Handi that the bullet can take a  hop, skip and jump before reaching the lands (Note*This is an exageration of course). In mine, bullets below 62 gr. that I have checked cannot come close to the lands and still maintain a good connection with the case. I have been able to load some 64 gr. win. pp and 75 A-Max that will touch the lands.

I don't have a .204 yet so can't help much there.

Happy Easter

Bill

Offline Manitobahunter

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
My 204 has a real long throat on it.  I have only tried 32gr bullets with it so far.  Tried noslers but with the boattail I couldn`t come close.  With flat base bullets like V-max and Blitzking you can seat them out a little farther but I find still not enough.  Doesn`t seem to affect accuracy to bad.  Find mine to like the Sierras as it will shoot dime size groups at 100yrds.
Shoot straight

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
Bullet jump and accuracy has been a hot topic for debate for years. I have found from personal experance that a minimal jump is usually best. ( usually) I have some guns that like the bullets jammed into the rifleings. I do recomand that before you try that that you back your charge way down as you will get a faster presure spike. Shot a 5 shot group with what you have, Then set your next 5 out another .005 and try them. Keep doing this untill your group stops getting smaller or you get to the lands. I have had rifles that the bullet would not stay in the case and longer and had to quit. The rule of thumb is that you should have 1 caliber lenth of the bullet in the case.  ( With a falt based bullet) I have found that is not nessary if you load single shot and are carefull not to bang around you ammo. AND, since you don`t have a clip to worry about that will not limit the lenth of your ammo.

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »
"Checked the maximum COL for it and it measures 2.380. My Lyman manual says recomended COL for the .204 is 2.250. "

JW, you should understand that the book's OAL is just like the charge data they present, none of it's a law, it's only what the book makers used.  But their rifle isn't your's, vary your OAL as needed.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue