Author Topic: Another Newbie Humbly Seeking Guidance (Moved)  (Read 597 times)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Another Newbie Humbly Seeking Guidance (Moved)
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:32:47 AM »
Moved to Bullet Casting, thanks guys)

OK, I've found a tire shop that will give me the wheel weights that I need.  I've decided that the fun of bullet making might be worth the investment beyond the Lee starter stuff (which I've tried, and liked for Black Powder).  I know that bullet companies do a nice job for a fair price; but, I want to do it anyway. So, these questions have certainly been answered before, but I'd really appreciate your advice and indulgence.  I load pistol, 45acp and 9mm, target stuff (230 RN 452 and 124 9mm).

1.  What do I need (which moulds, swager, swaging heater, etc.)?
2.  What is a good production rate?
3.  How many moulds/how many cavities per mould to be most efficient during the process?
4.  What other tidbits on information might keep me from cussing and spitting too much?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.  You guys are the best.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Another Newbie Humbly Seeking Guidance
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
Swaging bullets is a process where you form bullets using very high pressure, usually using pure lead, and often using copper jackets. There's several pros and cons with this process. Casting bullets is a process where lead alloy ( wheelweights for instance) is melted and pored into a mold. There are also several pros and cons with this process. Usually, those who swage have started out casting, and I think, for every person that swages bullets, 500 cast theirs. Recommend you review the  items found on the "Cast Bullet" board, and on this board, to get a better idea of these subjects, or help you formulate another question.

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
Re: Another Newbie Humbly Seeking Guidance (Moved)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
There is a good chapter on casting bullets in Richard Lee's book MODERN RELOADING. I Recommend getting it.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Another Newbie Humbly Seeking Guidance (Moved)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »
For making lots of bullets I don't think you can beat the Lee 6 hole molds, especally when the cost is considered. If you can get away with it shooting your bullets unsized and lubed with Lee liquid alox save lots of time. I don't like the lee bullets designed especially for tumble lubing, I just use the normal bullet designs. Tumble lubing may be too dirty to use in autos though, I have no experience there.