Author Topic: Bull Barrel really needed.  (Read 925 times)

Offline aglass1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bull Barrel really needed.
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »
I got into varmint hunting last year. I use a Winchester model 70 243 wssm. This is just the super shadow model. (BOTTOM OF THE LINE MODEL 70) I use 85gr Sierra Game Kings. I have a 4-12x40 Bushnell Banner Scope on it. Last year, the longest distance I shot was a little over 400 yds. The groundhog was laying on the ground facing towards us. The bullet went through its back (EXACTLY WHERE I PLACED THE SHOT). My motto is one shot one kill. But my question is, is a bull barrel really needed. I know that the wssm caliber really heats up my barrel after a couple shots and i think the most i've shot within say 5-7 minutes time is 2 rounds. I use this gun for groundhog and coyote hunting between 200-500 yds. What do yall think of this set up? I know some like the wssm and some don't. The barrel is chromed lined with a target crown. I dont think that not having a bull barrel would throw accuracy off (REAL BAD)between 2-3 shots. Im a big 243 fan and even bigger model 70 fan, but I thought about getting a rem. 700 sps varmint in 243 caliber. But i wanted to know what everybody thinks of what I already have. Whats everybody thoughts and opinions.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Bull Barrel really needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
For ground hogs, rock chucks, coyotes and others where shooting opportunities are limited no it's not really necessary or even helpful in my opinion. For high volume shooting like prairie dogs and the likes then yeah it's definitely helpful.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline aglass1987

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking also.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »
The only time I like a heavy barrelled gun is when I can set it in 1 place and leave it. For carry guns I like lite weight barrel and have found no difference in accuracy because of barrel weight. I have a CZ 527 with the pincle barrel on it and it will shoot rings around a friends CZ 527 Varmiter, and there are very few people that would not be happy with the way his shoots. I should also say that is with 32 gr. Sierra bullets, which my gun shoots far better than any other bullet, but his will group a wide range of bullet as well as the 32`s. Just difference in barrels.

Offline aglass1987

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »
Another question, what's better a scope with mil dots or a scope with target turrets? I know target turrets are alot easy and handier to use, but could regular windage and elevations knobs work just as good for the appropriate changes? Im just talking around shooting 500 yds, nothing farther than that.

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:53:07 PM »
If you learn to read the mils on the ballistic reticule or get a good bdc scope, IMHO it's a lot easier than adjusting the knobs every time you shoot. It's just quicker for me to aim over a bit than to dial and hope he's still there when I get done. I run a 223 out to 500 yards. It let me get rid of a heavy barrel 22-250 and save a whole lot of powder per year.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
You're good to go as is.   When they were first introduced, I decided to add a 243WSSM to my pack for those long shots at coyotes that had held up long on the ranches I did ADC for.   Dang ranch hands would take pot shots at them daily making my job harder.   Anyway, I bought a Win Mod 70 243WSSM too, but mine is a featherweight deluxe.  I wanted the sporter taper barrel to keep the rig light for easy carry as I trekked around the ranches and the extra oomph for the ranges that were now 3-500 yards.   As luck would have it, a two story fall ended my "trekking" days and stopped my doing ADC before I ever used the 243WSSM.   Still have it NIB... and am still itching to use it.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
If you can make a shot like that, who needs a new barrel?  I bought my first varmint gun as a bull barrel in 22-250, cause I thought they were "mandatory". It is too heavy to carry or shoot off-hand. I still own it and shoot it a lot, but carr a lighter contour for most "walking around" varminting.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »
On my long range rifle, a .22-6mm, I have both. I dial in the elevation and use the mil dots for windage and leed. To get the best out of eather you have to use a range finder.