Author Topic: Rare little bronze militia cannon  (Read 643 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Rare little bronze militia cannon
« on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:53 AM »

As a member of a visiting group, I had a chance to visit the backroom of the New York State Military Museum in Saratoga, NY. I was happy to find only the second 18th C. bronze 3-pounder American militia cannon I'd ever seen.  You can see many of the interesting details in the brief slideshow linked below.

In the photo above, the cannon under discussion is of course the top one.  The lower one is interesting too, an iron 6-pounder cast by Bellona Foundry in Richmond, and marked "SNY" for State of New York.

I took some measurements and later compared them to other example, now in a private collection.  The measurements of the two guns match very closely.  The New York example had many markings, but no date nor manufacturer.  However, I am fully convinced it was cast by James Byers in Springfield, MA.  Richard Colton (NPS, Springfield Armory) has found invoices of Byers three and six-pounder guns purchased by the State of New York 1794-1796.  The weight of the privately-owned example (344 lbs.) fits into the range of weights found on the old invoices.

The New York 3-pounder was apparently in service quite a long time.  If it was one of those cast ca. 1796, it was still in use ca. 1840.  We know this because it had a Hidden-type percussion firing lock installed, as evidenced by the three holes that were drilled to the side of the vent, in the familiar pattern that can only mean that a Hidden lock was mounted there.

The engraved inscription on the cannon is probably an interesting story in itself, and I don't quite understand it.  New York Governor D.D. Tompkins presented this cannon to the State of New York in 1814, per the inscription.  However, we're fairly certain the cannon was originally purchased by the State in the 1790's, to arm the militia, so I don't understand the circumstances behind this presentation, unless it was strictly ceremonial.  Does anyone know the story here?

I would be very grateful if anyone who knows of another cannon with the same size and profile as the one shown, would let me know so I can add it to the list.

Slideshow:  http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums%2032/?action=view&current=252326e8.pbw

Measurements, mean of the two known examples:

Bore Dia:  3.09 in.

Nominal Length:  44 in.

Trunnion Dia:  2.78 in.

Length over trunnions:  12.65 in.

Muzzle O.D.  6.35 in.

Basering O.D.  7.84 in.

The privately-owned example: