Author Topic: Methodology  (Read 301 times)

Offline MrJames680

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Squirrels are just plain no good.
Methodology
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:23:13 PM »
What method should I use to develop an accurate cartridge?   :-\  I would like to hear a bit about how one would go about finding a good load on a new barrel. I am loading for a .243 Win Handi. I know all rifles behave different. What should I start with first? Then, what should I adjust. Then the next variable I should adjust..... etc...

THX!
James
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Methodology
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
MrJames, first thing would be to determine what you want to do with your first load, varmint, target or smaller big game so you can pick the bullet you want to start with. Then choose the powder based on the bullet and the primer based on the powder.
I'm loading for my first Handi as well and it happens to be 243.  My prior efforts with 243 was for deer, so lightweight bullets are new to me so I'll help ya keep this up toward the top for a while!  ;)

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline MrJames680

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
I am in it for coyote and p-dog and squirrel. I was thinking Varmint Grenade or V-MAX. No matter what works better. I just picked them as they seem to do a good job. If they are not accurate in my rifle, no big deal, I'll just pick another... I already have Varget and some speer 55gr hollows....
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
With out getting into a lot of detail, well maybe a little - I pick an appropriate bullet first for the job. I do this based on what I am going to shoot and twist rate of the barrel. I start with it because it is the most expensive componet. I then pick a likely powder based mostly on what I have on hand and what the loading books say is appropriate. If I do not have a match in powder I buy some that is, usually picking one to start with high velocity output according to the loading data. I then pick a primer that is appropriate for the powder and case. After assembling the componets, I find out how far I have to seat the bullets out to touch the rifleing. Some guns this can be done rather easily and some you just will not be able to touch the lands with an appropriate bullet. If I can touch the lands with the bullet, I start at minimum loads and work my way up slowly. By this I mean start with the lowest listed powder weight. I usually load a series of loads in .5 grain incriments - usually 10 rounds each. If I can not reach the lands, I start with the recomended OAL and work up loads the same way, in .5 grain steps. After getting every thing loaded up I go to the range and make sure my rifle is sighted in with some factory loads or with some extra minimum loads. I then fire 5 rounds of each group. I do this after fouling shots sighting in the barrel. I shoot 1 group out of each 10 I had loaded up. If I see that one group did as well as expected I will fire the second 5 to confirm a good group. I look for pressure signs, but mostly I let my chronograph tell me when I am nearing max pressure levels. If I reach max pressure (velocity) and am not statisfied with any groups, I pull down any left over cartridges and start over with the bullets seated .020" off the lands. If I started with recomended OAL, I seat the bullets out .050" longer. Then I reload using the same data and the same way agian. If I see a load I like then I am in business, if not I pull them down and move away either .020" more or another .050" closer and try again. If I still do not get any thing I like, I start completly over with a differet powder or another appropriate bullet. I keep this up until I hit the magic combination. Some rifles are easy to find this with and others take a lot of shooting to find a good load with. It depends on what you are looking for too. A 1" group is much, much easier to come upon that a .5" group. If I find a load I like and shoot a second 5 shot group and it still is good, I then load up twenty exactly the same way and shoot 4 - 5 shot groups to confirm my load. If every thing still looks good, I am in business - and I have been able to repeat what I did. That is the way I do it, I am sure there are many different ways to do it, but basically you only want to change 1 thing at a time, be it powder charge or OAL or bullet what ever, do not start changing 2 or more things at a time, If you do you will trust chance to find a good load. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
Mr. James380 said,
"I am loading for a .243 Win Handi. I know all rifles behave different. What should I start with first?"

Well, I would say prayer.  :D

I have three Handi barrels and have great luck with the .204 and .500 S&W.

The .243 is my red headed stepchild. I have tried seating length, powders, bullets of different weights, modifying the rifle in many ways (see the tips on the GB handi forum), neck sizing, primers, and howling at the moon.

The best I can say about the barrel is that the groups are tighter than my 12 guage at 100 yards.

Others have great luck with the .243 Handi.

Good luck,

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
I forgot to add that some times no matter how much you try, you are just not going to find a combination that will work. You then have to decide if yu want to lower your expectaions or you are going to modify your gun and try again or cut your losses and get something else. If you start over after bedding, trigger job, etc and such you may decide it is not going to work out for you. I usually do the bedding, trigger job, etc before I try to find an accuracy load - again Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MrJames680

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »
LaOtto,
Thanks. Thats the exact wordy, blurb I was hoping for.
Do you just confirm a load with only one more 5shot group or do you do more after getting something good.
Do you bring to the range several batches of handloads that are .5gr apart and collect your data all at one time?