Author Topic: Lee Reloader press comments?  (Read 826 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Lee Reloader press comments?
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:48:56 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Lee Reloader presses (the ones that sell for $35)? Any good or bad comments? I only reload 200-300 rifle rounds per year, and i don't think that i need anything fancier than that, but are they any good? Yes, i am cheap.
Thanks.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Lee Reloader press comments?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:59:33 AM »
If that is the C press, you'll be disapointed.  If it is the O press, it will meet your requirements nicely.  You might even want to consider the Hand Press,  it works just fine and is easy to put away or take with you.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:04:38 AM »
I went to the Lee website-the Reloader Press is a C press,  yes I have one on my bench, I use it for depriming and it works just fine for that purpose, however on resizing and some bullet seating it has too much flex.  Too much spring for anything to be precise.

Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:20:53 AM »
Buy the O press as opposed to the C press.  It will serve all your needs.  Of course, once you start reloading more than 200 cases a year you will want to move up to something a little faster. 

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:59:35 AM »
It is often cheaper in the long run to buy something good the first time round than buying something the cheapest thing you can find and then finding out it don`t work. I would recomand that you hit a couple of gun shows and pick up a use press which is heaver than the Lee junk. You should find one for the price of the new Lee and it will last you a life time.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »
For the kind of volume you're talking about, I have successfully used a Lee hand press for a number of years.  The largest cartridges I've used it with regularly are 30-06 and 45-70.  My brother has a Lee "C" frame press and is happy with it.  He loads somewhat more than you do, but not a thousand rounds a month (or even per year).  He loads mostly 308 and as much as 25-06.  I have a Lee Challenger press ("O" frame), and it serves me very well indeed.

If you decide to spend more money for whatever reason, have a look at the Lee Classic Cast press.  It's cast steel made from salvaged railroad rails, which will be stronger than the cast iron that everyone else uses.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »
I have to agree with MZS, until recently I have only reloaded a few hundred rounds of 30-06 and 6mm a year.  The Lee stuff (I have the Classic Press) has served me well.  Lee is a little light on written instructions, but they make up for it with clear and easy to understand website videos. 

That said, I am now reloading a lot more and  have a hankering for some faster equipment.  I just need something faster than I have now.  I can't spend every night loading bullets. Of course, for me the real time consumer is case cleaning and inspection.  I know a tumbler would help, but do they make a tumbler that will inspect every case?   

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »
If you're looking for the best deal in a single stage "O" press, the Lee Classic appears to be as good as it gets. Not that you'll ever wear out any good single stage. I have owned a couple of RCBS presses that I aquired in the late 60s- early 70s. They still work well on my son's bench. For your use, the cheaper Lee "O" press will probably last more than a lifetime. You don't have to break the bank to get a good product anymore.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline wncchester

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »
"I only reload 200-300 rifle rounds per year, and i don't think that i need anything fancier than that, .."

I agree. 

I have two of the little "Reloader" presses, one dedicated to decapping and the other to re-capping.  But I have used them, tested them may the right word, on all reloading chores and find they can handle FL sizing Rem 7 mag quite well IF I properly lube the cases.  I measured the head deflection on my first one while FL resizing .30-06 and got .004".  Same test, same dies and cases, on my Rock Chucker II deflected .003, so...?   What more can anyone wish from a small press?

The Reloaders are kind of cramped for fast work but, for compact work spaces and low total cost for any low volume shooter, I doubt your ammo would benefit at all from a larger press of any make, type or price.  But do lube rifle cases well, especially down near the head where the brass is thickest.  Give that wooden knob 4-5 coats of polyurethane to make it slick and easy to keep clean, and you may need to secure it with a dab of epoxy to make it stay put, too!   Lee often sells that little press in a package with a Lee Manual, that really makes it a good deal! 

But, if you are willing to spring for a few extra bucks and have the space, the Lee Classic Cast IS a much better, stronger press for not a lot more money.  Then you would be fixed for life, no matter the volume you may reload!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »
Check the classifieds here. Good chance you will find what you need and you will be buying from a member and this supports our little community.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »
I have used both RCBS O press and the Lee O press, I think it is called the Challenger.  I prefer the Lee, it is easier to operate with better leverage.  The only thing I don't like is the little wooden knob comes off the handle easily.  I found a plastic knob that fits and works just as good, and does not come off.( I threaded the end of the rod and screwed the plastic knob on).  I also have the little C press.  I don't like it for resizing, it's too small, not enough leverage.  I have it mounted beside the Lee O press and use it for bullet seating, I seem to get better control and feel for what I am doing. 

Of the three presses I own, RCBS O press, Lee O press, and the Lee C press, if I could only have one it would be the Lee O press.  I load from 1 to 2 thousand rounds a year.  Ranging from .223, to .338/378, and 45-70, for rifles, and 9MM Luger to .454 Casull for pistols.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
I ended up ordering a Lee Breechlock O press and a set of collet dies for $75 or so together.
I liked this system because it would allow me to "set and forget" after i find the right position for the dies.
I hope that i did not spend too much.

Offline timmo58

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 02:43:22 AM »
 i had a savage 99 in .303 SAVAGE and could not find any ammo for it at all ,,,so i bought a challenger O press the whole reloading kit with a set of dies i was all set to reload even went and took a reloading coarse from an NRA instructor my O--press lasted me a week and broke the pot metal junk arms that holds the ram...   the handle bent a little...   as i tried to resize a 307 winchester into a .303 savage die by sliding the neck down a little and cutting to length i made about five cases for the .303 SAVAGE then all heck broke loose i called and they wanted me to send it back for repair the price to mail it was so close to price of new press of same kind,, that i didnt mail anything to them and ordered the broken parts,which i paid for its back to like new now,,, and waiting for a yard sale buyer if i get 35 bucks for the whole set up im sure ill be happy, go out and buy a rcbs rock chucker!!!! i resize on that now, with no trouble at all and its made of good steel not pot metal and rcbs stands behind everything they sell so you will find your LEE press is good enough to nock out a primer and reprime and seat bullets but be-carefull rezing your brass 

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:56:08 AM »
You can't go wrong with the lee hand press,even if you have a bench type you can use it for de-priming anywere.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule