Author Topic: .41 bullet for whitetail (cast vs. jacketed)  (Read 747 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
.41 bullet for whitetail (cast vs. jacketed)
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
I have a ported gun in .41 mag. I have had people say not to shoot cast bullets in a ported gun. I have also heard some say it's okay. Well, I'm not convinced enough to do it. So, I am trying to find the next best bullet, jacketed, in .41 mag for deer. Should I use a soft point instead of a JHP? Don't know why, I just like the idea of a SP over a HP in the larger calibers. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone shoots, and has a lot of experience with, cast through a ported barrel...I'm all ears.

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline jhalcott

Re: .41 bullet for whitetail (cast vs. jacketed)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »
The ports have a tendency to pick up tiny bits of lead as the bullet passes them. Many people have no problems cleaning the ports when they get fouled. Some types of recoil reduction have an expansion chamber and large slots to redirect the gasses. Occassionally a gas check MIGHT get yanked off and wind up in the slot/barrel. I use the XTP's in my .41mag contender because that's what the previous owner used. I like a large flat point on my hunting ammo, hp's don't aeem to work as well as the fp's and round nosed bullets seem to punch thru with out doing much damage on the way!

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:06:10 AM »
Big .41 shooter here. Big cast shooter as well. Provided you are not shooting a Dan Wesson, shoot all the cast you want. You'll get some little splatters of lead from time to time out the ports, but that is why we all wear eye protection. In a Dan Wesson, don't do it, you'll lead weld the shroud to the barrel and it is a pain to get off.

If you really want to use jacketed, I cannot find anything wrong with the Speer 210g Gold dot. It has a large meplat (face) and expands well, plus it is a bonded design so weight retention in deer is 100% or darn close to it.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:30:51 AM »
Thank you for the posts. I've been looking at the Gold Dot. However, I was considering cast in the first place because the gun is titanium and very light weight. Even with the ports the gun recoils pretty stout. I thought a heavy, slow cast bullet would be effective enough with less recoil for longer range practice. Possibly a 240 grain at 1,000 fps or a little more. But, I suppose I could do the same with a jacketed and just not expect much expansion. Not sure a lot of expansion is really needed in a .41 caliber bullet? 
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:48:33 AM »
In the .41 expansion is not needed for deer, but it does not hurt. I find the 230g Keith bullet at 1000fps is plenty for deer and recoil is more managable in the light revolvers. However, if this is a Taurus you are using, the Keith bullet in the Mag case is too long, you have to run it in a .41 special, or trim back the mag brass to crimp in the cann.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
Yes, it is the Taurus.

I see some nice loads on your site. However, there are several in .41 and .44 that don't have the velocity listed. Do you have something in the neighborhood of 210g - 230g; 1,100 - 1,000 fps in a .41 load?

Thanks
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
I can sure make them that way. In fact the .41 Special can be set up with the 230g Keith at 1000 if you like.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Okay, how should we proceed?
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:37:29 AM »
Just place the order on the website online store and in the comments tell me exactly what you want. In other words, if you want to go with the 230g Keith in the 41 Special at 1000FPS. Order how ever many boxes you want, and in the comments tell us you want them at 1000FPS.
Ron Reed
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »
BRL

I shoot a Taurus Tracker in 45lc with almost nothing but cast bullets , well over 10,000 to this point and yet to have a problem with leading in the ports , I also shoot just about as many 41 cal cast bullets in a ported S&W with no problems either .

The 230g Keith as well as the 170g & 220g Lee's  are the 3 that I shoot the most of , all just flat Knock Things Down .  ;D

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
Thanks Stimpy. Nice to hear more real world experience. I almost sold this gun a couple of years back but it was my late brother's and couldn't part with it. Now, I'm really looking forward to putting it to good use.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline GradyL41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 06:19:16 PM »
I have nothing but .41s -- cast WLn gc work fine- 230 Keith work fine-- 210 XTP and Gold Dots work fine-- and last and least the 170 JHC also work just fine- have taken deer with all these and more- use good meplatt and your 1000fps will work been wanting one of the Taurus my self--- good luck on this let us know how it goes-bet that little critter is loud

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »
I've used The keith style cast and XTPs and both "killed em dead". The XTP don't penetrate like the lead though. I almost always find them just under the hide on the opposite side. I've never recovered a cast bullet but the damage has been comparable on a heart/lung shot.

Don't worry about the ports on the Taurus. You'll get some buildup on the outside but I've never had them plug and I'm not verry religious about cleaning my guns after every outing.

I have an RCBS 230 grain bullet that I like but it is too long for the Taurus. I've only taken a small doe with it in a 41 special loading. Don't have a chrony but I'm pretty sure it was only moving around 900-950 FFS.
Just another worthless opinion!!