Author Topic: New PF9 just arrived  (Read 1448 times)

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Contributor
New PF9 just arrived
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:30:32 AM »
Just picked up my new PF9 today.  It came in a plastic box and had the mag finger extension with it.  Looks pretty good, but will wait until I shot it some for my final decision.  Its bigger than I thought, but still is a good size.  I really like the grip feel.  I ordered the belt clip for it from Kel-Tec and will probably put that on tonight.  May have to wait till the weekend to shoot it.

Deerandduck

Offline Foxxtrot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: New PF9 just arrived
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
you won't like the grip after a dozen or so shots. It starts to sting some and the trigger seems to cut into your index finger.  two fixes 1) Hogue grip - love it for ten bucks or lower 2) heat shrink tube for the trigger.

lots of ccw holsters to choose from, some are in the pocket though. I have a generic softside holster and it works well and is tight to the body. I posted two range reports on the ktog forum. Mine shoots well and I am shooting better with such a long trigger pull. I don't mind it any longer as it had we waiting to fire the first three hundred rounds.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:39:05 AM »
The Don Hume IWB for my 1911 officer's size fits mine like a glove. A firm grip and a locked wrist is all it takes to shoot the PF9 comfortably. I don't care for any of the add on grips or mag extensions that make the gun bulkier or cling to clothing. A bigger grip should have a bigger gun attached to it, IMO. My range sessions seldom exceed a couple of mags with this pistol. Just enough to be comfortable with reliability, and maintain proficiency. I do not use it for high volume plinking. I have plenty of guns for range duty. If you keep it clean and properly lubed, it will serve you for a lifetime as an excellent little carry gun. Enjoy yours!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline T/Chmr

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:21:00 AM »
Yep, they are a nice piece for the price.  I took a grinder and re-shaped the "point" of the mag extension on mine, it gave me alittle more handle and took the edge off.  I mainly carry my PF9 during the summer, but I do love that little gun.

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I shot it about a dozen times over the weekend using Fed 115 JHPs.  Grips do bite some but no so bad to add the slip on grips.  I do think it would make it more "sticky" as its withdrawn.  I installed the Kel-tec clip with no problem in about 2 minutes.  I did a few test carrys with no problem.  I like this approach but it does weigh a little heavy on my jogging pants.  So far no problems and it hits pretty much where I aim.  Haven't done any checking for accuracy yet, just off-hand plicking.
I think this will be a keeper.
Deerandduck

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 03:52:11 PM »
I like Savage's point!  If you need a bigger grip on it, you should buy the P11 and get more rounds to go with the larger grip.  Just my 2ct.  44 Man 
Glad you are enjoying your PF9.  I should have mine in a month or so.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Westbound

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »
How did the PF9 do on cycling ammo?
My P11 required lots of polishing and cycling before it wanted to feel any ammo.
After 100 rounds or so, she feeds like a dream, but I was really concerned those first few days!

Offline deerandduck

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:27:19 AM »
So far, the PF9 has had no cycling problems.  Granted I've only got around 50-60 rounds through it so far.  Don't seem to have time to shoot lately....  I have been carrying it more these days; the clip seems to work good but its best to have some fabric between the gun and your skin.  The rear sights are a little sharp.
Deerandduck

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »
How did the PF9 do on cycling ammo?
My P11 required lots of polishing and cycling before it wanted to feel any ammo.
After 100 rounds or so, she feeds like a dream, but I was really concerned those first few days!

I have had my PF9 for a couple of years now. It doesn't have a high round count, maybe 300 rds or so, using everything from radical HPs to my cast reloads. No malfunctions to date. The real test of a carry gun is to shoot it after carrying it for a couple of weeks without cleaning, and with carry ammo. Guess you'd say mine has lived up to expectations.
Savage
edit: Haven't done anything to the gun beyond cleaning and lubrication.       
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline JD HHI 6092®

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
You made a good choice.  I've had my PF-9 for almost a year and it's never malfunctioned.  I've even carried it more than my G19. 
The only thing you should feel when shooting insurgents is recoil.

Offline Hillbilly Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:43 AM »
I find my P-9 much easier to shoot fast and accurately than a P11.  Trigger is much better.  I use an IWB made by Kholster out of St. Louis Mo.  Very comfortable.  My P-11 does duty only as a backup 100 percent of the time in my car.
Remember smooth is fast.
Hillbilly Jim