Author Topic: 357 Handi, almost a tack driver.  (Read 620 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
357 Handi, almost a tack driver.
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
Finally got to the range to play with some reloads in my 357 today.  New scope and rings, and a new load.  180 grain r.n. loaded over Unique.  10 spaced shots at 100 yds, which is probably a stretch for this little gun.

Oh well, was going to post a target, but can't get it to work today......anyway, 8 shots inside 1 1/2 ", with two fliers.

I got my trigger so light that I only have to think about it to fire, and I thought too quick on a couple.  Might have gotten it too light.  In any event, I like these bullets and this load.  Probably not the best design for hunting deer, but for punching paper they are just fun!
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 357 Handi, almost a tack driver.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:06:57 AM »
Hope the picture posts.

Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:28:07 AM »
Nice shooting, I love the way .357 will shoot and 100 yards is well within the hunting range of a .357 from a rifle. my favorite bullet is a hard cast 180 LWFN GC LBT copy. Gotta love a handi .357. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 02:44:02 AM »
Im putting together a "new" Handi .357 to replace the one that was stolen a while back.  I put the barrel with a 4x32 scout scope on my 7mm-08 frame and sighted it in at 60 yards.  The first three shots grouped two 158 gr. SJSPs though one verticle oval hole and the third cut into the same hole on the right.  All were 3 inches right of dead center.  I moved the scope left and was done.  The one that was stolen shot the same way.  You can't beat the .357 Handis, they're shooters!  Nice shooting and good luck with your .357.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline alan in ga

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:49:53 AM »
the ONLY Handi rifle I have at the present time is a .357 Magnum w/green/light wood laminate stock. It has a commemorative circle button of some sort [?] in the side of the buttstock. Limited Edition or something [I'm too lazy to walk to the gun safe].
Last year I grabbed several boxes of 38 Spl and .357 Mag ammo I somehow accumulated over the years and enjoyed hours at a friend's range. I have a Leupold 2.5-8X matte on it now. I may put a fixed Leupold M8 4X compact on it later.
I have so far fought off the urge to borrow a buddy's .357 Maximum reamer but who knows? This rifle shoots great as is so I may leave it alone and just SHOOT IT.
I DO  believe it IS a great candidate for a threaded suppressor. I saw a neat little 'like' rifle here on this website that had this done to it. No [none?] great loss of velocity if the barrel is cut back to just over 16", after all it IS only a .357 Mag which usually lives in 4 and 6" barrel pistols!. And SO MUCH 'subsonic' ammo readily and cheaply available - .38 Spl ammo must be the most common centerfire ammo around, most of it subsonic.
OH,,,,and YES,,I would love to put a thumbhole Ultra buttstock on the rifle to make scope use a bit easier and more comfortable [higher comb].
Anyway, reading this makes me want to go grab the Handi and play with it. If the cost of the Fed Tax stamp weren't so high [$200] and then the suppressor cost, well,,,,,I'd be setting up the lathe NOW! ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:46:06 AM »
Great shooting Ben, congrats!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
SSSssssshush  all you with those 357 mag handis,

( covers his ears) I dont want to hear all these great accuracy having 357's .... I sold my little shooter :P   ;D

Yeah they are some good shooting little rigs ... I still have the other halves 357mag Winnie angle eject model 94  ... But i knew i would regret a little letting that handi go home with someone else .. Ol' well as is life.

I may have to order one on a different reciever some day in the future.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason