Author Topic: Chronographs and recommendations  (Read 625 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
Chronographs and recommendations
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:39:43 AM »
Does anybody here use a chronograph regularly?  I don't really need one but I'm often curious about the velocities of some of my hand loads especially when fired from irregular length barrels.  That being the case, I don't want to spend a whole lot on one so I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions or might make any recommendations on a low priced chronograph.

Thanks!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Chronographs and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:44:42 AM »
I have a Crony Beta Master and it works fine. It cost some where around $100 -$120, depending where you get it. They make a coupe of models that are cheaper to buy and would more than likely do what you want. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:01:22 AM »
Shooting Chrony F-1 Master, you can get one for well under $100, it has a remote display that sits on the bench, mine works excellent, and it won't hurt your pocketbook too much when you shoot it!! 

Tim

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar44.htm

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BSS&Product_Code=SHTMASTERF1

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:29:29 AM »
  HE WILL shoot it sooner or later won't he! Or a "friend" will do it for him. I shott the sky screen off one and had another shot by a guy on another bench. He offered to buy me another chrony for his accident. I told him the plastic piece he shot didn;t really affect the macine and led him to the 7 yard line. He was shooting a .44 mag that had a VERY light trigger. Too light in my opinion!

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »
You GOTTA have a chrony!! For less than a hundred bucks, no reason not to have one!  Can't remember the name and model of my first one, the last one was a Beta Chrony. I currently have a PACT XL.  Only downside to having one is the velocity loss caused by shooting your favorite load over the screens.------------ ::)
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:11:34 AM »
Hey, thanks for the info guys!  I'll probably try the Chrony F-1 Master.  I hope to order one soon.

Thanks for the help!

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »
Highly recommend the F-1 Master. The remote screen makes it real easy to write down your shot strings. Plus, the unit itself has a washer welded on the bottom, so you can screw it down to a tripod, and set it out at 10-15ft. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »
If you plan to use it only sporadically as you mention, get the cheapest Chrony. It measures velocity as well as the other, higher priced models. What it doesn't do is massage that data, doesn't calculate averages or standard deviations. It measures the velocity and displays it. Period. Shoot another round over it and get a new number to look at.

You can buy one new for under a hundred US dollars. You have a computer or you wouldn't be using this website. Write down your velocity measurements as you shoot them, make up a simple spreadsheet program to analyze the data, and you're set for hours and hours of good informative experimentation.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »
+1 to all posts here!

Don't know how I got along with one!
I bought a Chrony Beta Master, only to find I don't use it often enough to remember what buttons to push! LOL! I have to keep the instructions handy on the shooting bench.

My buddy has a plain jane Chrony F-1, which can often be found under $80.
We were both glad that it was his F-1 that got shot, not my Beta Master!

Plan to sell my Beta Master and get two F-1's. The F-1 is simple; turn it on and shoot "over" it. Read the screen, jot it down. Forms come with the Chrony for 10 shots in a single string. Also shows how to calc SD, ES and Average Velocity. My Dad adapted the form to facitate 4 sets of 5-shot strings, as I shoot 5-shot strings when load developing - then 10-shot strings to "prove" the load, so to speak.

The instructions specifically state, "do not attempt to shoot offhand", always use a bench for shooting over a chronograph. Yup, they know from whence they speak! We built a bench after shot #49! LOL

A spreadsheet, as was previously posted, is a great way to get the results, and is included in several of the ballistics softwares. I have Ballistics Basics as well as Load from a Disk, and it comes in both of them; or you can simply set up an Excell sheet.  BTW - I do NOT use any load data from these programs. Early versions would "group" too many powders as being the same burning rate; i.e. the same powder charge for a specific velocity and pressure. I'm uncomfortable with that arrangement. Later versions seem to have more powders to select from, so it has probably improved a bunch, but..guess I'm too old for a new trick.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
Again, thanks to all of you for your input.  I'm sure I'll be purchasing a lower end chronograph.  I don't need all the bells and whistles, I just want to get an idea of what my loads are doing and I surely can take the average of five or ten shot strings without having the chrony do it for me (as many of you have suggested).  Now my only problem is to find out if the range in which I shoot will let me set one up.  I'm sure if I were to put it in front of me on a bench it wouldn't be a problem but it seems that the chrony must be placed about 12 feet out in front of the shooter.   The range that I shoot at has somewhat of a hill from which the benches are set which means I'd need a tri-pod of 5 feet high to get it in line with the bench.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
A full size tripod will easily give you 5' of height.  ;)

Tim

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
Yes, I have a very nice tri-pod that I use for my photography equipment and it can stand a full 5 or so feet.  I just don't want to put that one out in front of a bunch of overly-enthusiastic shooters ;)  ....myself included!  :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:35:33 PM »
I paid $40 for mine at the local chain store, works great, that's all I use it for. ;)

Tim

Offline Blackhawker

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
Yup, if and when I buy the chrony, I figured I'd just buy a cheapy tri-pod.  I'm sure it doesn't have to be as stable as when taking photos or looking though a spotting scope. 

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:26 AM »
ill be the spoiler here. I had two chronys. One would not reliably pick up a bullet and give a reading and i sent it back and they sent me a replacement and it read about 150fps fast compared to my buddys ohler. Now that isnt a big consern if you can compare every round at each velocity and get an idea of how there differed. I did just that and lived with it for a couple years. Last year i bucked up and bought a pact. It cost more. It was around 200 bucks. Its a much nicer more consistant unit that is right on in calibration and comes with a built in printer that makes it nice for load developement. I can shoot groups and chrono them at the same time and take the data the printer gave me and staple it to the target and take it home for evaluation later. The ohlers were nice units and state of the art in there day but personaly I wouldnt trade this pact even up for one.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
Had a problem with my Beta Chrony as well. Inconsistent readings. Gave it away and bought the Pact--------problem solved.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,