Author Topic: outdoor lights  (Read 637 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
outdoor lights
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
i am looking at getting a flashlight for  power outages, the occasional hurricane, night work and night hunting/ fishing. I thinking about getting a 2-3 c cell maglite. Is this a good light and will it work for this?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: outdoor lights
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:50:19 AM »
They put out a lot of light but go thru batteries at a horrible rate. Now days you can get them with LED bulbs tho and they don't go thru batteries so fast tho aren't quite as bright. They are a much better option tho in my opinion and I'm switching my Mag-Lites to them.

I found at Wal-Mart a mini-lantern that runs on four AA batteries and uses LEDs. It can run on three or about seven or eight of them I think plus it has a flash red LED for times when a flashing red light is appropriate. Dunno if you can find them or not but they are great for the uses mentioned. We have one for every room of the house. They even have a magnetic base to stay put on iron or steel. I've never found a handier light to have for emergencies than it.

I probably have at least 20 Mag lights and mini mag lights from a single AAA cell to six D cell in size. My latest also from Wal-Mart is a three AA cell with LED bulbs. Very bright and lasts a long time without battery changes.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »
I would look to get more than one flash light.
For outdoors I like either the Stream light or the Surefire cheap ones (if there is such a thing) in the $35-40 range.  They are smaller and a whole lot lighter as well as brighter than the C or D models.  But for years a Mini mag was in my hunting coat, game bag or on my back pack.  I like to keep around a couple of them in the car or the house.  If you take the bell end off it becomes a stand and the light can be used as a candle.  Has come in handy quite a few times.  In one power outage in NC we did not have any candles in the house and had mini mags in the huricane globes to add light to the house.  Was more than bright enough to read by.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
coast  makes the best for the money    lowes  or  home depot

3  aaa batteries   good tacktical switch

i have been  50 feeet  diving with mine 3 years ago

its  still  going good.........get  2
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
I have the mini mag LED and it's a very good light(i got it for free) but i just need something that is cheap and will do the job, that why i am looking at the 15$ mag light at walmart.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
If you find one of those little mini LED lanterns at Wal-Mart buy it for sure. That's one of the handiest little lights I've ever run across.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »
Jamal,
I give up.  send me your e-mail address and I will send you a Cabela's  or Bass Pro gift card so you can order one of the high end lights.
Everyone should have something cool. 

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »
This is a link to the flash light I use at work. Very bright LED mini size flash light. A little fatter than a Minimag. Beats a LED minimag hands down.

http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/junior-led.html
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 04:59:36 AM »
On the same site in the search engine type in Scorpion.  that is what I will send you.
Neat little light about as bright as the hi beams of a car.  Use your $ to get any accessories you want for it.
The batteries, 123 size are not exactly cheap but last about an hour.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:15:03 AM »
i just getting the mag light. thanks for all your help but i like the mag light and if i don't like it i can always take it back to walmart.

You know i just went to the Bass Pro in orlando FL, and it was a real let down. the people there did not know anything about the outdoors, they did not want to help me, they have a lot of the same stuff walmart had but walmart was way less, and a lot of stuff that they said they had they did not have. I not going back there again and i well shop at home at the gun and outdoor stores i know here in clearwater.

They had no black power round balls and they told me there is no such thing as round balls?? ???