Author Topic: 303  (Read 361 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
I have been loading some 303 British rounds and after firing the neck is very black and dirty. The fowling is extremely hard to get off. I can throw some Fired pistol brass in the tumbler and in an hour or so it is clean and shined. But these 303's take forever to get the crap off, if it comes off at all.
  Any idea what is up with this?
                                Beerbelly

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 303
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »
My first guess is that the presure is not high enough to expand the necks and fire is blowing back around it. Don`t worry if you don`t get it clear off, I loaded and fired alot of brass with black necks.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
I think that Catfish is right.  Unless you are really anal about the appearance of your cases, don't worry about it.  I have no clue how many thousands of reloads I have made before I purchased a case cleaner.  They shot no worse because they were not nice and shiney.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »
If you are worried about the black deposits, just scrub the necks a bit with #000 steel wool prior to putting them in the tumbler.  Then they'll come out shiney.  Otherwise don't worry about it.  Low pressure loads in oversized combat chambers often means soot on the outside of cases.  Different powders will give different deposits....

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
Thanks guys, just glad to know it is nothing to worried about. I am still very new at this and maybe I worried to much, but then better safe than sorry. With all the experience on this board I knew some one would know.
                            Beerbelly

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
If the sooting bothers you. Chuck the cases up in a drill and polish them with 000 steel wool. Yeah, it's low pressure blow-by sooting the case necks.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline MrJames680

• Squirrels are just plain no good.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
You can always paint your brass black so you wont notice the sooting.

JUST KIDDING!  ;D
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)