Author Topic: 45 ACP brass  (Read 457 times)

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
45 ACP brass
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »
Has anyone had range pick up brass primers come apart on de-priming? All I get is the top of the primer out,the sides stay in the case.They all,so far are Winchester cases.(Brother in laws stuff)
Also after 20+ years of reloading and range scrounging I found some Fiocci 45 acp brass with small primers.Anybody reload these? Need data.Can I use normal data ?

Just currious.
Alan

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45 ACP brass
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
In over 45yrs I've never had the primer problem you mentioned. All my pistol brass is range brass. I don't think I've ever bought new pistol brass. Winchester also loaded some of their "Win Clean" ammo using cases with the small pistol primers. It also had an extra large flash hole if I remember correctly. My standard load worked fine in those cases. I gave away the ones I had when I started loading on a progressive. You can imagine what kind of problems that could cause!! If you load on a single stage press, and don't mind keeping your brass sorted, no reason not to use them.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:08:04 AM »
nope. the only thing i could think that might cause it is if they sat long enough on ground that they got oxidation between the primer side and the pocket and RUSTED (for lack of a better word) together. I have run into some 45 auto  brass that hand the primers crimped. But the problem with that is getting new primers back in not getting the old out.
blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:31:13 AM »
I was given a bunch of range brass and got 50 of the winchester brass with the sp primers. They did o.k. with standard loads for me, but I used them as "orphan brass" and let them stay where they landed.....in the woods, not at the range.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline John Traveler

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
I once encountered several hundred .30 M1 Carbine Lake City fired cases that had that problem.  On decapping, a large percentage of the primer cups would pull apart leaving the edges stuck in the primer pocket.  On examination, the insides of many of the cases were corroded, apparently from being rinsed in case cleaning chemical and being left to dry out.  The case corrosion seemed to deteriorate the inside of the primer cups making them separate.  Taught me to closely inspect when buying cases in bulk.
John Traveler

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »
I have had that happen a lot with crimped-in primers; "ringers", which can pe pried out with a small acrewdriver, but to avoid trouble at re-priming, the crimp needs to be removed either with a swadge or de-burring cutter. Once-fired G I brass is usually less expensive because of the crimp.