Author Topic: 2 areas lacking in the cap and ball world  (Read 1176 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
2 areas lacking in the cap and ball world
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »
since i'm starting to get back into cap and ball revovlers i cant help but notice a few things lacking.
1. a target model in a .36 or .31 i think that would be preety neat perferably in the remington configurtion(sp)
2. a modern walker somewhere along the lines of a long cylinder bfr in .44 and maybe .50 i would image that it would have a powder capacity of 60+ grains the only problem i see is that there might not be enough barrel to properly burn all the powder but it would be nice to have one with decent sights.
what do you guys think?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Re: 2 areas lacking in the cap and ball world
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »
  I talked to the folks that make the BFR a few years ago about a percussion version of the revolver but they weren't interested. Maybe you could give it a try--times have changed. They were good about it and do respond to e-mail.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »
There have been some custom conversions of the Ruger Old Army to .50 caliber and they get quite a whollop out of the cap & Ball revolver.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »
ill try emailing them. i know about the ruger old army and thats on my list of guns to get but since they been discoutinued there harder to find and that conversion is expensive probably worth it but still

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 04:21:07 AM »
If you could convince them to build a cap & ball BFR I doubt that would be inexpensive either. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »
true but i could just go to a store and buy it not have to find a ruger old army then send it off

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:33:37 AM »
The Brits once (originals) made a 58 cap and ball revolver.  I'd like to see the Italians run off something larger than 44. 

I remember seeing an Article in an old American Rifleman about a guy who took a 38 S&W revolver and somehow converted it to cap and ball.   (I have a several early 1950's issues in my library)  As I recall the targets he shot were impressive.  (Talk about retro-engineering, thats about all the new in-line offerings)

We already have folks making conversion cylinders for cap and ball revolvers, what about a conversion cylinder back ward to cap and ball for a modern revolver.  Thats what the guy did in the 1950s with that old S&W.  Some of the early and transition guns after the civil war could fire either center or rimfire versions of the same cartridge by flipping the firing pin.  As I recall a few could fire even percussion or rimfire, by switching a mechanism either on the hammer or the firing pin. 

It would seem it wouldn't be too difficult to retro-engineer such a system for a modern gun. 

A big problem would be the difference between chamber diameter and the forcing cone into the barrel and then barrel diameter, as well as whether a soft lead bullet would just strip through the rifling. 

I once approached an American reloading manufacturer about making a simple straight line loading tool in a special obsolete caliber.  With me paying for the special reamers & tooling and buying a lot of 100 pieces, they still wanted over $200 a piece.   At the same time for a standard caliber they only charged $22.00 wholesale for the same item.   One of the guys that worked there called me a few weeks later to say he could make them after hours at home for $125 a piece.   (Sounds like road apples to me)     

The dollar exchange rate simply isn't right for approaching the Italians to make them for import. 

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »
I would like to see a 22-25 caliber rifle or pistol that uses a 209 primer for small game.  Figure a rolling block frame would be perfect.
I had a rolling block in 32 Rim fire that was fun to shoot but expensive. 
There is a tiny pistol that uses a BB and a standard cap but is far too small for anything more than shooting mice in the garage.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 07:51:40 AM »
There was a .17 and a .22 cal pistol that operated on just a perc cap made by Palmetto in Italy, they apparently recently closed up shop.  They made a boller pistol, a huge bore percussion pistol that was expressly for making noise like on the 4th of July.  I think it was a ten ga.

Pedersoli makes a zimmer pistol in 4.5 mm,   I kind of like their Saloon gun which is similar, but in 36 cal.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
There have been some custom conversions of the Ruger Old Army to .50 caliber and they get quite a whollop out of the cap & Ball revolver.

But the Ruger's cylinder is a miniature and the barrel is short when compared to the BFR. A BFR with a five shot cylinder in .50 caliber would be a very serious piece of hardware.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
got a reply from magnum research they said no to bad i think theres a market for a serious hunting cap and ball revolver. oh well untill i find a ruger old army ill just hunt small game with my 1858 remington target