Author Topic: Remington 300 RSAUM  (Read 550 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Remington 300 RSAUM
« on: October 05, 2003, 01:47:36 PM »
Well, the verdict is in from where I stand on this one. I took a  mule deer with my Model Seven in 300 RSAUM using a 150 grain Core Lokt Ultra bullet (factory ammo) and the bullet came all to pieces and left a wound channel like a varmint bullet. I took a shot that was not the best opportunity I have had and ended up hitting the top of the right rear end of a smallish buck. The bullet fragmented and here's what happened. The biggest part of the bullet deflected in a downward direction and blew bone and tissue in the stomach, at the same time turning it to mush. One bullet fragment went along the spine and completely destroyed the tenderloin on one side (the fragment stopped at the neck). The remaining fragment deflected left and ruined the off side leg, completely. It WAS an instant death reaction to the shot but I MIGHT have 20# of meat left after getting rid of all the blood shot tissue. I am scared to use this thing on an elk.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Remington 300 RSAUM
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 05:00:55 AM »
Conventional design bullets of light weight cannot and will not stand up to magnum rifles hitting game at close range. You must either use a premium bullet that can take the impact or a heavier bullet or both.

Understand I am NOT a fan of magnum rifles. I think in general they are a waste. In .30 caliber if a .30-06 won't do it you shouldn't be doing it. The ONLY reason I could see for owning a .30 caliber magnum would be to push 200 grain bullets to the same speed an '06 will 180s. I use nothing lighter than 180s for hunting in the '06. For sure I wouldn't in the magnums.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!