Author Topic: POI and possible pressure problems with H-R 12 gauge. (long)  (Read 502 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
POI and possible pressure problems with H-R 12 gauge. (long)
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »
Bought a new H-R/NEF Pardner 12 gauge w/modified choke last summer. I used it on and off during the hunting season last fall/winter (I prefer Pardners for general small game upland hunting, use my Rems and Mossys for waterfowl). I used brand new factory ammunition. I did NOT pattern test it prior to use. It was the proverbial 'death ray'. Did not miss once. I noticed no odd problems with the empty hulls although I did not look. No problems except for a small crack in the butt stock. This was from the fact that the wood under the butt plate is not finished with a sealant I'm sure. Fast foreward to now. I generally like composite stocks, just my opinion. So like usual (this ain't my first H-R/NEF) I bought a new stock set from Choate. I also did something most won't agree with but has worked until now. I 'hose' out the frame with an aerosol gun cleaning spray to flush out old lube and dirt. I let it dry overnight. I then spray a moderate amount of Zep 2000 into the frame and let dry. It comes out clear and as thin as water but after about 30 minutes is gels into a very very slick dirt repeling grease. Actually very little stays in the frame, but all parts get a film of the lube. I've done this on all H-R's I ever owned with NO problems. I also do this to the extractor/ejector mechanism. I then clean the chamber to remove any grease that may of gotten into the chamber when I sprayed the ejector mechanism. Put the stock set on. I took it to the pattern board at the range today and ended up puzzled. First the POI is very low. That could be a stock fit issue compared to the original wood stock. However I've put Choate stock sets on every H-R I own and have never had this sort of a problem. I also found that some of the primers were pierced or blackend with soot. At 30 yards the upper portion of the pattern is where my POA was. Meaning the center of the pattern is 12 to 15" low. Obviously this problem did not exist last fall or I would of missed most of the shots. I will add that some of the shells today where new (Rem Slugger rifled slugs) and old reloads (20+ years old) and older (10+ years) factory buckshot loads. I shot none of the new factory shells that I had used last fall. The typical curse of the Pardner shotgun was non existant with my gun. The bead was flush with the inside of the barrel and it did not have the burr that always seems to be there with these shotguns. When I got home I swabbed the bore clean and found that there was a build up of gunk in the chamber. There where about 6 or 7 small lumps of gunk. Took some serious scrubbing with a bronze brush to remove. Who knows what it was. Any ideas? What causes primer issues with shotguns? Why the sudden POI change?

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: POI and possible pressure problems with H-R 12 gauge. (long)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »
I think you need to shoot the same shells you shot last fall to determine that they are not hitting the same point of impact also you may of been shooting the same but were just catching the birds with the outside of the pattern. I don't think you can say that it is not the same p o i without having patterned it before. Same with the primers shoot what ya shot last yr and see what they leave ya. These are just my thoughts and I am by far not any expert so take it for what it's worth. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Maritime Storm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: POI and possible pressure problems with H-R 12 gauge. (long)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:36:52 AM »
I agree, the reason for pattern testing to show how a particular load works in a particular gun. Slugs don't necessarily shoot straight out of a gun, nor does buckshot for that matter. Pattern test using the loads you shot last year and see where you point of impact versus point of aim are. Do this with enough shotguns and you'll soon realize most didn't hit where they are pointed. My Marlin, Boito and El Faisan all hit at different spots on a pattern board, different chokes can change point of impact due to producing more or less fliers, etc. The stock may have caused part of this issue and may need to be adjusted for fit to you and the gun. Also you may have had the same point of impact last fall with this gun without realizing it, it doesn't take many pellets to down a bird remember. All points to ponder.
A Maritimer & Damn Proud of it.