Author Topic: Are magnum primers necessary?  (Read 719 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Are magnum primers necessary?
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »
The bad news is I'm down to about 50 CCI LR Magnum primers.   :(  The good news is the only load I'm currently using them in is for my 45-120.   ::)  The problem is I would hate to do a bunch of load development and then have to stop before I finish because I can't get anymore of that one componant.   :(

I have about 200 Federal LR primers and those will certainly get me through this hunting season if I use them only in the 45-120; I've got about 900+ CCI LR primers left to use in my other rifles. I also have 800 or so Rem LR primers but I'm running about a 10% FTF rate with those so I will not use them.   >:(

All the load data I've seen for the 45-120 indicates the use of LR Magnum primers.  I wonder if I can get away with useing standard LR primers and be assured of constant ignition?   :-\  Here in Jawja I've always used LR primers for everything, including ball powders that sometimes call for LRM's.  Never had a concern...  But with the 45-120 I may be getting into charge weights of 80+ gr.  Albeit stick powder.  What y'all think?   ???

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are magnum primers necessary?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »
As a rule of thumb I have switched to magnum primers after charges exceed 65-grains.  This is not based on scientific evidence.  I have set my magnum primers aside for lighting off 75-80 grains of H870 and AA8700.  I am ending where you are starting up.
I have no experience with Buffalo Guns. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »
From what I understand magnums were used to lite off black powder and prodex cartridge loads.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:39 AM »
I have done some primer testing. Last summer I tried several different brands in both standard and mag. in a afew different rounds. From what I saw there is no rime or reason to the way they act in different rounds. In some rounds there was no difference in velocity or visable presure signs. In others I got presure signs sooner and accuracy varied, but the mag. primers were not always faster. In my .22-6mm with ball powder I get far better accuracy with standard primers than mag. primers when useing Berger bullets and Mag. Pro. powder. With H-870 I get alittle more velocity with mag. primers and accuracy is at least as good if not better. I would recomand that you give them a try. Load 5 rounds and see how they look.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
Richard

A lot is going to depend on the powder your lighting , a heavy load of ball powder is going to need more spark to fire properly , due to the density of the powder , while a large load of stick powder is going to require less fire , as there is more air space between granuals to allow the spark to light it .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »
As usual, I agree with Stimpy. I only use magnum primers with Win 748 in my 8x56R. It likes that powder. Most of my rifle loading is Varget which doesn't seem to care about primers.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24:51 AM »
Both Mag Pro and H-870 are ball powders and I`m lighting 47 gr. of the Mag Pro with standard primers and getting far better accuracy. I think the burn rate has an effect on it too. Mag Pro is faster than the 870 and could lite easier.  ::)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:17:49 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I remembered after posting that I light 60 +/- gr. of Varget with a LR primer without a thought about it.   ::)  I think I'm just going to give LR primers a try and see what happens.   :-\  Matter of fact, I'll load 6 more rounds the same as the 6 I've got loaded, but will use the Federal LR instead of the CCI LRM to spark them with!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
ive never seen the need for mag primers with any extruded powder at any charge level. Ball powders are differnt and large cases using them can surely benefit from there use and even some medium sized cases. If your burning black in that 120 you best stick with magnums as your accuracy will deteriorate with standard.
blue lives matter

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »
Hard to tell untill you try them.  I loaded 44 Mags and 41 Mags for years with IMR 4227 and CCI Mag primers which was what one of my first reloading books called for.  Then a later edition of the same book was changed to standard primers and I made the switch.  My accuracy in both calibers went south and I was so frustrated with the two guns that had shot great for years.  Loaded a few rounds back with the Mag primers and the magic was back even though most sources other than that old Speer book say to use standard primers with IMR 4227.

You just never know till you try.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
"As usual, I agree with Stimpy. I only use magnum primers with Win 748 in my 8x56R. It likes that powder. Most of my rifle loading is Varget which doesn't seem to care about primers."

I guess I should have explained about my 8X56R "liking" 748 and Mag primers.

In the summer up here, I shot a few rounds and everything was fine. I loaded to the book and ignored the Mag primers suggestion.

When winter came, every other round would poke the bullet into the bore and leave it there. No powder burned.

This means get out a cleaning rod and poke the thing out.
(Yes, we do shoot here at -20 degrees F.)

Switched to mag primers and the problem went away.

mike

Mike Ellestad

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »
Thanks again boys!  Like I said, I'm gonna overlap the loadings w/mag and standard primers and see what happens.  I don't think I'll have a problem as warm as it stays down here and since I am not using ball powders.   :)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit