Author Topic: A good reason to use copper bullets!  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
A good reason to use copper bullets!
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A good reason to use copper bullets!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
Not near enough! I have been loading and shooting cast bullets for 45 years. Eaten more than my share of game taken with lead pellets and bullets with only trace amounts of lead indicated in my most recent workup. I'm worried tho, at this rate in another 150yrs or so, it might cause me health problems. Sounds like the government should ban that stuff. For the good of the children, of course--------------------------------!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
Folks who eat no wild game, tend to have higher levels of lead than those who do.  I'll be using lead as long as I can.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »
I can't believe money gets wasted on studies like this.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:26:44 PM »
they  didnt test  hard cast bullets

i  ate  some birdshot  and squirrel when  i was  young
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
Most of the anti lead hype is just that, hype!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can it be a problem? Yes. Should we prevent our kids from teething on a lead bar? Yes.

However, after melting the stuff, for years, casting and loading cast bullets for years, I am still alive, with no lead caused problems and expect like Savage that it may possibly kill me if I live to the age of about 210 - 250 years.

One time, probably 30 +/- years back, I had a series of blood work - don't recall the reason - and happen to have been melting/cleaning/casting a large quanity of wheel weights.  So, I ask the doctor to include a check on lead in the blood tests.

Results, zero/zip/nadda.

If any reasonable amount of care is taken while using/handling/melting/casting/loading lead bullets, it flat ain't go'in to hurt you, period.

And if it seems like it did, you did something wrong or more likely had problems coming on from and for another reason.

This media hype is just like most of the rest, take with large amounts of salt, which by the way will also kill you if eaten in large amounts.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:01:36 PM »
Brain washing is what it is.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »
they  didnt test  hard cast bullets

i  ate  some birdshot  and squirrel when  i was  young

Per the FDA labeling guidelines, I hope that was really "squirrel and birdshot"! ;^)

I consumed my share of duck/goose/quail/dove and birshot as a kid too. Of course I spit out most of the shot, but a few invariably found their way down the pipe.

Andy

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »
Solid, basic lead is not a health problem for anyone.  It simply can't be digested by mammals.  It IS a (small) problem for birds because of the unique nature of their digestive system.  They first run everything into a "craw" which contains bits of sand and gravel which then serves to pulverise the food, including lead pellets, so that it can be digested.  Animals don't have ANY comparable problem with solid lead!  An infant could swallow bird shot and its momma will toss it out in a diaper the next day without harm.  Doctors know this, so do real scientists.

Such panic signals from "scientists" are simply their gamesmanship aimed at obtaining more and more grant money (taxes) to "study the problem" they find.  Same as with the junk "science" of "global warming", it lets the lab professors make a really good living without having to actually work or produce anything useful.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Catfish

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
I personally put just as much faith in the lead poising studies as I di in the golbal warm stories.  :P

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 02:17:48 PM »
I've eaten my share of lead too.  A lot of it has settled in my feet and in my butt.  I'm going to tell my doctor that is why I weigh to much.

The key to stopping polution is to require every municipality to empty their sewage discharge upstream from their water intake.  That will get immediate action and stop a lot of polution that finds its way into our water and food chain.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 02:41:21 PM »

This whole business started as a result of a ND Doctor named Cornatzer, that produced some "x_rays" of vension having a bunch of lead in it.  Took it to food banks in ND and MN and they all panicked and disposed of their donated meat.

Here's one of his toxic photos:

and the ABC byline at the time:

This image provided by Bismarck, N.D. physician and hunter Dr. William Cornatzer shows a 2007 CT scan taken of venison packages riddled with lead from high-powered bullets. Other states have joined North Dakota's warning that thousands of pounds of venison given to food pantries could be contaminated by lead from bullets. Hunting groups are calling it an overreaction. (AP Photo/Dr. William Cornatzer) (AP)

Then, in response to the public outrage of dumping all that meat, the NSSF did some investigation.

http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=share/PR/&PR=110708.cfm&CFID=2987599&CFTOKEN=85998e917fbaf0bc-A7B2576B-EC0C-654B-69AA041E9CD443C3&jsessionid=f030a07c96ea213ccdf14a68823714d63624

towit:

NSSF was critical of the ND Department of Health when earlier this year the Department overreacted to a non-peer reviewed study by a dermatologist (Cornatzer) who claimed to have collected packages of venison from food banks that contained lead fragments. North Dakota health officials did not conduct their own study, but merely accepted the lead-contaminated meat samples from the dermatologist. The ND Department of Health then ordered all food banks to discard their venison. Serious questions were raised in a subsequent investigative journalism piece published this summer about the scientific validity of the testing of venison samples from the ND food pantries, including concerns regarding the non-random selection of the samples.

It has since come to light that the dermatologist's efforts were not the independent actions of a concerned hunter, as he claimed. It was an orchestrated strategy by the Peregrine Fund -- an organization dedicated to eliminating the use of lead ammunition for hunting. The dermatologist serves on the Fund's Board of Directors.

I hate to think of the untold thousand pieces of split shot sinkers that have been swallowed by accident on a rocking boat.

Ah, yes.  This too, shall pass.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 03:29:13 PM »
WHAT  ABOUT PEOPLE  THAT HAVE A BULLET LEFT IN  THEM??????

they  seem to be  ok
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »
Hype, Hype, hype --------------------

I got so fed up with it a few years back, you know all the hype about Joe Blow having XXXXXXXXX amount of ammo in his house and the great and grave danger he caused to all those surrounding homes and families etc. etc. etc.

So when it was my turn to do the "safety meeting, I did a series of slides showing Black Powder burning(exploding) and smokless powder burning. Used a motor drive to make the shots, so it was clear the difference between an explosive - black powder and a propelent - smokeless powder.

Showed some night shots of handguns being fired etc., and talked about the very limited danger of injury when ammo "cooked" off.

Having been there and done that when a kid - now we would be put in the slammer for being a terrorist or something - I told the group that I could start a bit of a fire in a card board box and cook off some ammo and the resulting fragments would never leave the box.

First the primer pops out (non-military), the bullet possibly gets pushed out by the expanding gas, maybe going a few inches from the case, and possibly the case will rupture.

The only parts which will travel any distance will not have enough energy to go through the cardboard box, and will consist of the primer  (if it blows) and possible small fragments of the case.

The bullet and the case, being heavy and the bursting cartridge being uncontained, will not travel more then a very few inches at most.

My point is, if we could get them to really be interested, an educated (real life and real things) media would be a far cry from what we have now.

Anyway, don't know if I convenced them, but I felt better after trying.

The same thing applies with the lead issue!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »
and  how explosive is a car tank of gas??

fear  mongering is all

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
Let's call it what it really is...A new ploy toward gun and ammunition control. Scare tactics by misinformed or ignorant lawmakers. I have been shooting and reloading for most of my life. I ingest higher concentrations of lead from eating high-level predatory fish than hanging around my reloading shop and the shooting range, or eating game killed by bullets containing lead.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 03:31:44 PM »
"I personally put just as much faith in the lead poising studies as I di in the golbal warm stories."

Roger that.  And RADON GAS!  And Y2K! And 2nd HAND SMOKE!  And ASBESTOS!  And ALAR ON APPLES!  And GOBAL ICE AGE, converted to GLOBAL WARMING and now GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE due to conflicting information.  Gag.  Some people (sheeple?) stand ready to panic about anything the media hypes about anything said by alarmist "scientists" seeking tax funded grants to "study a problem."  Rarely very scientific but it beats making them work for a living I guess.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »
WHAT  ABOUT PEOPLE  THAT HAVE A BULLET LEFT IN  THEM??????

they  seem to be  ok

Thats because they didn't EAT IT!  I feel another useless investigation coming on ::)

"The propensity of poisoning by lead particulates after being shot by bullets with exposed lead versus full metal jackets"
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »
I do believe that I'd rather eat a bullet than have someone insert one into my person....

And who remembers when the scare was that peanut butter would cause cancer? This was right after it was found that peanut butter would remove a hickey....

Oh to be a recipient of a grant to study some useless bull$hit...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
Winchester, asbestosis is a very real pulmonary lung disease. I worked around the stuff for over 25 years. I have bi-lateral pulmonary asbestosis. Symptoms can take as long as twenty years to manifest themselves. I have had chest exams bu some of the best in the business. Mt Sinai occpational school of medicine as one. Had lung infection and the pulmanologist gave the same diagnosis. In my company there have been at least 200 plus workers who have been diagnosed as having some form of asbestosis. I could go on and on but I think you get the point. It is real and it does kill. regards, Frank

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 05:58:25 AM »
Nah, lead don't kill anyone, just make em stupid. Many can't tell no difference anyway.

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »
Idaho_Elk_Huntr
 So are you switching to plastic bullets? These studies are complete and uter BS! I,ve been eating lead shot game all my life -been a lead caster reloader for the last 25 years! My blood lead level is less than the level to be dangerous to kids!  Lead has to be in an atomized/gasous  form to be dangerous!  ::)
 Understand this is just another attempt at banning firearm use and hunting! Look at the folks behing these studies- complete anti-hunting and firearms Organizations! >:(
One shot , One Kill