Author Topic: Sightron Big Sky 6 x 42 review  (Read 449 times)

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Sightron Big Sky 6 x 42 review
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:00:41 AM »
Ive been meaning to take the time to tell others my opinion about the Sightron Big Sky 6 x 42 I received about a month ago. Please keep in mind I dont have a lot of experience with many (especially high dollar) scopes but Ive been through my share of lower to middle priced/class scopes. This is the most expensive scope Ive ever purchased and I simply love it so far. I will admit that the Nikon Prostaff runs a pretty close match to it when you compare and consider the price difference. The Sightron is clearer than the Prostaff though and where I really noticed a difference is there is a lot less glare on the lens in early morning and late evening compared to Nikon. I was really impressed when after bore sighting how this scope changed my point of impact exactly according to how many clicks of adjustment you give it. I think some of you know what I mean when you adjust a scope and it takes a round or two until the scope settles to a spot and such. well this one is the only one that Ive ever owned that moved exactly the way it should have in my opinion. I have owned lower end priced Simmons, Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell and this is a good scope in my opinion. I dont have a lot of time and money but I really believe and wish that I would have taken the time to compare the Nikon Buck Masters scope because as good as I believe the Prostaff is then the Buckmasters would have run a close race. Some time ago I contacted Sightron via email and asked the difference between the new Big Sky scopes and theyre other scopes and this is the reply I got...

SIIBIGSKY UPGRADES:

1. Upgraded Glass
2. Every lens has 7 layers of polish vs SII interior only has 4 layers
3. Front & rear lens have Climate Control Coating (prevents rain from sticking or fogging)
4. More eye relief
5. All Adjustable objectives will focus to 10 yards on less than one revolution (AO's no longer turn 720 degrees)
6. 1/8 minute dials have 10 minutes per revolution instead of 7.5 minutes.
7. 1/4 minute dials have 20 minutes per revolution
8. Pull up resettable finger adjustable dial turrets on all hunting models
9. All Scopes will accept a sunshade. The hunting models (non-AO) will not have one included in the box (these will be made available for purchase)
10. All SII Big Sky scopes will now have dust covers included.

Anyway just thought I would let others know my personal experience and opinion.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Sightron Big Sky 6 x 42 review
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
Well what a surprise. I just found out that Nikon looks to be discontinuing theyre Buckmaster 4x40 scopes and vendors are selling them at a very reasonable price so yes indeed I just bought one and should be getting it sometime this week and now I can compare it to the Sightron within the next week or two. I have a feeling that I will be selling my Sightron but we will see.