Author Topic: .24/6mm little choice!!??  (Read 411 times)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
.24/6mm little choice!!??
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:21:47 AM »
Is it me or has anyone else noticed that there is a definite lack of choices for cast 243/6mm bullets?  There seems to be plenty for most other calibres but right now NO Lyman No Lee and only 1 RCBS mould and 1 Saeco!
Are there choices I'm missing short of custom?

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: .24/6mm little choice!!??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
might be because no one is casting for the 6's. the 22 and 7mm's do any thing you'd expect from the 6's. get a BUNCH of people asking for the 6mm mold and the bigger companies will jump on the wagon for a piece of the $$. other wise they won't invest time and money on what THEY see as a losing proposition! HOW many .24/6mm calibers are around? .243, 6mm & 240 Weatherby, none of these are considered as cast bullet choices. The smaller wildcat 6's are fed jacketed far more than they ever would be cast.
   I use cast in the 7TCU and get looked at as if I had eight eyes by most of the shooters at the range. Every one there KNOWS cast bullets are NOT accurate! After they shoot a few of mine ,though, they start to get interested. I have lent my molds and sizers to a couple shooters. They cast a hundred or so bullets and size/load them. They quickly return my equipment saying casting is TOO much work!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:22 AM »
I'd also add NEI, they have a little lightweight 6mm design that works in slow twist rifles. I used to shoot a 40X in 6X47 with a 1:14 twist, it wouldn't stabilize any of the normal offerings but worked well with the 65 gr. NEI.

One thing about 6mm cast bullets now is Hornady quit making gaschecks for it. They are still available from Gator Check, but not what you'll find on dealer's shelves any longer.

I shoot the RCBS bullet in my 243 Ackley Imp rifle now, from 1700 to 2100 fps it's very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. 10 gr. AA#2 powder sounds like a cap gun and gives way more hit than a .22 out to 300 yards.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jsh

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:59:13 AM »
Huh, I had not heard or seen that on the Hornady  6mm checks. I was looking around a bit also on 6mm molds, nothing I wanted to spend my $ on. I was wanting somthing that weighed in at, or about 65-75 grains max. I looked at mountain molds on their program nothing that small. I looked at LBT and there is a good offering there. I have borrowed an LBT mold a while back and it was nice.
When you mention the $ and custom, you get what you pay for. The last couple of new  iron molds I got were a disapointment.
Jeff