Author Topic: 4Fg in Ruger Old Army?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
4Fg in Ruger Old Army?
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
Ok. I am not sure if this has been posted in some way, shape or form but here goes. I was wondering about the performance of the Ruger Old Army if one were to use 4 Fg powder ? I know that the gun is very strong and should not have a problem with such a load. I would like to extract as much power out of that revolver as possible. Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed.

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 4Fg in Ruger Old Army?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »
Been there, done that; I've used 4F up to 40gr in my ROA.  It's real peppy with the conicals, but not real accurate.  Best accuracy is with the round balls and 40gr of the 4F, once you learn where it hits, as it hits high and I've got the rear sight pegged at the bottom.  The 1st time was because I ran out of 3F and had my flinter, so I borrowed some primer powder, started with 30gr and worked up to 40, which exceeds the capacity of the factory cylinder, but I have a pair of Ballistx after market cylinders, that will hold 45gr. My manual says any B/p or sub with 3F being their recommended can be used.  4F is kind of hard to find around here, so I've gone back to 3F or 777, and save my 4F for the flinter.

Offline longcaribiner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
I have never fired 4fg in my ROA, but the Lyman black powder handbook lists specs, velocity and energy for such loads. 

I found that loading 3fg and a 456 wad cutter bullet 191 grains does enough kick for me.  Like was said above, however, more accurate to use round balls for some reason. 

I also found that greasing the chamber in front of the ball gives me better accuracy for shooting.  Even if it is messier.

Offline chamois1

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »
Sold my ROA about 25 yrs ago and wish I still had It. Very strong gun and the company stands behind it.
I can not remember the load that I used , but it was all the 4F powder it would hold with a felt wad and round ball. I was told that this load was very close to 357 Mag. I never used grease over the ball, just the felt wad between powder and ball. This charge was so hot that after several yrs. of shooting all the blueing was gone from the end of the cylinder and end of barrel .
  I killed a 250 lb. boar that was at full charge with this revolver using the 4F load. It took 3 Shoots but thank goodness it stopped him. The last shot dropped him about 5 ft. away.
  I sent the revolver back to Ruger  to be reblued. When It came back, It was like new. They reblued it and replaced one spring and charged me 18.75. That was over 25 yrs ago but to me that was great service.
  Try the 4F: you will like the preformance and the ROA can take it.

Chamois

Offline chg

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
The most accurate load in my Ruger Old Army is 40 gr of 4 F, .457 ball and spg lube or 50/50 crisco/parafin wax over the top.  I came across this by chance, we were shooting, a guy walked out of the club house and announced we'd just got a case of 4F by mistake and the club would sell it at cost.  I was shooting the then brand new Ruger and not getting the accuracy I expected with numerous combos and weights of 3F.  Bought a can, loaded it with 40 grs and decided it was a keeper right then and there.  Two guys there also shot Old Armys, saw the group from 4F and knew of my dissatisfaction with the past loads.  They each tried a cylinder full of my 4F and we basically bought that 25 pounds of 4f that day.