Author Topic: ammunition  (Read 471 times)

Offline jtech

• Trade Count: (0)
ammunition
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:52 PM »
Does anyone know which bullet black hills uses in ther 75 gr. match hp ?
My gun loves the round and i want to start re loading. I'm looking for a heavy,hard hitting round that bucks the wind pretty good. I want to stick with bullets that have a cannelure to be able to crimp. Want to do some long range varmit shooting and thinking about shtf. If the shtf I would want a lot more penetraiton than a varmit round. I know 1 round may not be the best for both purposes. I don't realy care much about not damaging a pelt or making a little critter explode. Just critter control.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: ammunition
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:13:47 AM »
we did a bunch of penetration testing with .223 bullets and found that some of the 70-80 grain bullets, especailly the match hps) actually fragmented worse the standard 55 grain soft nosed bullets. Another problem is some of the heavys are made to be single loaded in an ar and when seated to function in a mag they will actually fall into the case. Best bullet a guy could have loaded in an ar to take care of hunting and predetors  both two and four legged in my opinion is the 60 grain nos partition. If you want a good compromise bullet that will penetrate a tad deaper then the 55s but still will fragement enough to get extreamly fast kills try the 60 grain vmax hornady.
blue lives matter

Offline jtech

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ammunition
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »
Do you happen to remember which ones? Over at ar 15.com some are recomending the 75 gr. scirocco, 75 gr. hornady that black hills loads and 77gr. sierra mk. I don't know that the scirocco can be loaded to fit in the mag's, can't find any load data in the books I have.
Thanks