Author Topic: Reloading 7.63x39 for a single-shot rifle  (Read 1017 times)

Offline walker944

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading 7.63x39 for a single-shot rifle
« on: April 18, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
Years ago I purchased a Rossi 7.62x39 single shot rifle before learning that you can not fire milsurp ammo in them. Like many others that purchased that rifle, I thought it would make a great little plinker or small-to-mid game rifle, while using dirt cheap ammo that I already had tons of. Well, that was the thought process. The reality proved to be different. After the purchase and several disappointing trips to the range with my new prize, and a subsquent call to Rossi/Taurus, I learned that the milsurp ammo primer (made for rifles with floating firing pins) is much too hard for the wimpy firing pin in the single shot Rossi. So, the rifle has sat in my safe for a few years. Every once in a while I think about alternative solutions to the problem, but none have worked out.

Recently I acquired some reloading equipment and thought I'd get into reloading. In the process of reading and learning (from posts in this and other forums as well as in the ABCs of Reloading) I've learned that different primers have different hardness and seating depths. In going through the learning process, I got to thinking about my Rossi single-shot. I'm wondering if I can reload milsurp ammo with a commerical (softer) primer for the Rossi single-shot? If not, is there a brass/primer combination that will work?

So, I have a few questions.

1) Is anyone successfully reloading milsurp brass for a single-shot (non-floating firing pin) rifle? If so, what primer do you use?

2) Does anyone reload for a single shot 7.62x39 using commercial brass? If so, I'd like to hear your experiences and what brand brass works best...and what to avoid.

3) What primer size (small or large) is needed for the 7.62x39 case?

4) Can commercial primers be used in milsurp brass?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Reloading 7.63x39 for a single-shot rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:01:39 AM »
#1 -- Tons , mostly 223 , 30/06 and 7.62x39

#2 -- I like Winchester brass but Remington will do in a pinch

#3 -- That will depend on the cases your using , some have small primer pockets and some have large

#4 -- Yes , you do need to remove the crimp ring from Most mil spec cases

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline walker944

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 05:32:00 AM »
Thanks stimpylu32.  Are you reloading 7.63x39 with Berdan primers?  That's what I have ample supply of.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
walker

Berdan primers are a royal pain to reload , not only do you need diffrent primers , you also need special tools to re prime them , my advice is to scrap the Berdan cases and pick up some Boxer primer style .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline walker944

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
Stimpy,

Yeah, I've come to that realization.  I actually saw a website that give step-by-step on how to convert a Berdan primered casing to boxer style.  I just don't have the patience to go through all that.  So, I've given up on trying to reload the milsurp.  So, that takes me in the direction of shooting commercial and reloading it, or doing some kind of modification to the hammer/hammer spring/firing pin to all greater/strong firing pin protusion/strike.

Anyone got any experience with a modification to make a singleshot rifle shoot the milsurp 7.62x39?  Need success stories!!

walker944

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:15:31 AM »
walker

Its not only the firing pin that must be taken into account but the chamber itself and the barrel steel too . Most Mil Spec ammo does not conform to SAAMM standards and can run at much Higher chamber pressures .

Your best bet is to pick up a couple boxes of Comm. factory ammo and then re-use those cases , also you may want to slug your barrel to see if it is a .311 Dia. or .308 Dia. , and while your at it check the expander ball on the sizing die to make sure its of proper Dia.

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline walker944

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »
Stimpy,

I was not aware that the pressures may be higher with the milsurp ammo.  That's a valid concern.  Okay, so you got me on the "slug your barrel" comment.  I don't know what that means.  Could you please elaborate?  What is involved?  Thanks.

Walker944

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
Walker

This will walk you through it , step by step , better than I can explain it .

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline walker944

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:31:34 AM »
Stimpy,

Thanks for the link!  Very interesting.

Do you have a source (preferably a valid website) citing the pressure differences between milspec and commercial 7.62x39 ammo?  Would just like to do a little reading on the issue.

Thanks,

walker944

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »
walker

Here are two that came off the top of my head .

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/forum/DisplayForum.cfm?SubjectID=25419

http://le.atk.com/pdf/223VS556.pdf

A net search will find many more .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline walker944

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »
Hey Stimpy,

Thanks for the links.  Both of those are for .223 vs 5.56 though.  Happen to know any comparing 7.62x39 milsurp vs commercial?

Walker944

Offline czvz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
I might suggest checking out the Rossi Forum.  There are a few of us that have been tinkering with the 7.62X39 Rossi's.  Some have better luck than others as far as accuracy unfortunately I have not had much luck with reloads... though others have.  Hopefully you can breathe new life into some old threads!

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 05:39:08 AM »

I got a Handi from Gunbroker that was chambered in 7.62x39.   I purchased Remington and American (I think..) ammo and went to the range.  I was surprised to find that, out of a box of 20, the Handi would fire between 14 and 16 of the rounds.   THEN I found out that there was a problem with the weak strike from the firing pin.

Took it home and did some reloading with different primers and found that in my rifle, I could get the gun to go BANG! every time if I used CCI primers.   Not sometimes - every time.

That dumb little Handi with IMR 4198 powder and CCI primers is the most accurate rifle I own.   (We're talking Remington, Winchester, and Savage as the other rifles.)   I also own a Handi in 25-06 and 30-30 and they too are accurate, but that 7.62x39 is a joy to shoot.

Try different primers - maybe you can get that Rossi to find one it likes.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »
Just reading this string of posts, and I'm probably telling you something you already know but just in case, a lot of the milsurp for the 762 is steel case, not brass..don't try and reuse that.....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline walker944

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »
Good comment...actually I was not aware of that.  I'll check into what I have before attempting to reload any of it.